Chapter 5 - A Nick & Katie Moment

Chapter 6 – Nick O’Riley

I sat up in the bed and looked at my surroundings: Katie was listening to music with her iPod—I could hear her music from where I was sitting—and texting someone; Sam was still asleep, and everything was quiet, except for the faint sound of Katie’s music.

I decided to stand up and use the restroom; thank the lord there was one in the sleeping quarters. I went in and out quickly and then glanced at myself in the mirror; my hair was a mess and my close were sticking to me, and not to my liking either. I looked at Katie again who had put her phone down on the side table and she was staring at her hands—headphones still in and everything.

I pulled my hoodie on really quick and then sat down next to Katie; ripping out one of her ear buds, “Hey.”

She didn’t even look at me; she just took her ear bud back and then turned around so that her legs hung over the side of the bed.

I sighed and walked around the bed that Katie was sitting on and then sat on the bed that was across from her; I looked towards Sam and then back at Katie—this time ripping both of her ear buds out and taking her iPod.

“Hey! Give it back!” she screamed—jolting Sam awake.

“Not until you talk to me!” I yelled back.

She rolled her eyes, “what then?”

“What’s wrong?” I asked, trying to look into her eyes—but that was becoming more impossible by the second—every time I caught her brown eyes in mine she just looked somewhere else, “and why do you keep avoiding my gaze?!”

She rolled her eyes again, crossing her arms, this time her eyes were drilling right into mine—she was pissed, “Because maybe I don’t want to look at you…maybe I don’t want to keep eye contact with you!” she replied back, still not answering my other question.

“What’s wrong, Katie? You’re never like this,” I asked again.

She huffed a little, grabbing her phone—still not answering me.

“Katie?” I said in a hushed whisper.

Katie just lost it: she threw her phone at the wall, causing the screen to crack a little—yet the phone still worked—and just broke down; and honestly, I didn’t even know what to do. I’ve never seen Katie like that before: I’ve never seen her cry before, I’ve seen her in action when she’s mad, boy you do not want to see that…but crying? I’ve never seen Katie cry before. She collapsed onto the bed again; turning her body so I couldn’t look at her.

I cleared my throat, pushed myself up from the bed and sat next to Katie: rubbing circles on her back.

“Katie…” I whispered.

Katie sniffled a little, still not looking at me, “He cheated on me.”

I knew she was talking about Jackson, her boyfriend of two years, “What?! Why?”

Katie attempted to push herself up from the bed, but she failed—quickly. She tried again, but this time I pulled her up and brought her into a hug—and a long one too. She just sat there like that, crying into my hoodie; and honestly, I didn’t really care right now that it was getting soaked, my friend needed me and I was going to make sure I was here for her.

After five minutes had gone by, Katie was calmed down a little: her head and back were leaned up against my check and my shoulder, and she was trying to control her hiccups; she sighed and looked up at me.

“Are you okay now?” I asked; my voice still in a whisper. I could feel Sam’s eyes burning a hole in the side of my face—but I didn’t really care.

Katie was holding my left hand in hers as she exhaled, shaking her head, “No…I’m not.”

“What happened, Katie?” I asked, fiddling with her fingers.

Katie sighed, “Someone said they saw Jackson and some girl making out in the park, I didn’t believe them of course, but then they sent me a picture.” Tears were rolling down her face again, “He was all over her, Nick.”

“He doesn’t deserve you, Katie…” I replied; putting my free arm around her neck and shoulders, bringing her a little closer, “you deserve so much better than that—he doesn’t know what he has just lost.”

Katie leaned back against me a little more and then sighed; I thought she was going to fall asleep like that—but no, she was crying…silently; I felt so bad for her. Katie doesn’t deserve this; Katie was outgoing and she loved to help everyone who needed it. She was a beautiful girl who cared about everyone; she had a beautiful personality inside and out, but Jackson didn’t even realize that—I guess all he cared about was having a make out buddy. Although, he cared about her on the outside…but I don’t think he ever cared on the inside.

I sighed at my thoughts and kissed the top of Katie’s head, “I’m so sorry,” I whispered, my voice muffling in her dark hair.

Katie’s eyes flickered open as rubbed circles on her shoulder; she squeezed my hand reassuringly. She exhaled and gestured for Sam to come over—I didn’t really mind at the moment if he was there or not; Katie needed friends who cared about her at the moment and if Sam was one of those people then that was okay with me.

Sam sat on the opposite side of where I was sitting; he was holding her other free hand and giving her small reassuring smiles to make her feel better; I wasn’t really sure how much that was working though.

“I wish Jessica was here,” she whispered—I think she was saying it to no one in particular; she just wanted Jessica to be there.

We all did; Katie at the moment needed her more than anything. She needed her friends, and I was going to make sure I was here for here through all of this.

But I had an uneasy feeling in my stomach I couldn’t shake away—what if this investigation was going too much for all of us? The stress and the expectation from each and every one of us…could we handle it?

Authors Note: DAWWWHHH! Who likes Katie and Nick?!!! ;D hahh! so cute... LOL!! not sure when the next chapter will be out but heres what's to come:

Interviews with Eric Redding, Lucas Jensen, and Katie

Searching the Montez House

Jessica Montez's POV