Chapter 7 - Searching the Montez Household

Chapter 7 – Detective Sanders

Detective Hanes, Detective Ross, and I pulled up into the Montez’s driveway and already baffled by what we were seeing: no cars, the grass was completely dead—looked like it hadn’t been watered in weeks; the mailbox was—literally—overflowing with mail, and the house looked…well…dark.

Detective Hanes took the house keys that were given to her out of her pocket and held them in her hand, “I have the warrant for the house and father’s car—but his car doesn’t seem to be here obviously.”

“No shit,” Detective Ross mumbled.

I couldn’t help but snicker a little as Detective Hanes began to climb the porch step; she halted in front of the door and tried turning the door knob—to our shock the door was already unlocked.

“That’s strange,” I whispered, looking at my surrounding.

“Okay,” Detective Hanes eyed me, “Ross and I will go into the house—you going to be okay working out here and in the backyard?”

I nodded; when they finally disappeared into the house I took out my notepad and immediately start writing down the houses’ appearance from the outside. The house looked creepy; if you ask me…it looked like a haunted house you’d find at Halloween time. I didn’t even want to know what the inside look like.

I shook my thoughts off and stuffed the notepad and pen away in my back pocket.

In a time period of about thirty minutes I had searched: bushes, trees, under the house, and the mailbox. Things that were in the mailbox surprised me: there were a bunch of ‘Passed Due’ account bills, paperwork for the yearly taxes, and other business stuff. The mail was weeks to months old, which shocked me a little. I took my notepad out again and wrote down the information before pressing onto searching the garage.

Something weird is going on here.

***Detective Hanes’ POV***

Detective Ross had decided to take the downstairs area, forcing me to take a look around upstairs instead.

I climbed the stairs noting the fact that the lights didn’t work—my guess was that the father didn’t pay the bill and that the electric company just shut the power off.  When I reached the top of the stairs, I pushed open the first door, taking a peek in and realized that the room must’ve belonged to one of the Montez girls: the walls were Tiffany blue; pictures were tapped to the mirror that hung on the wall, her bed was pushed up onto the side of the farthest wall from the door, the bed sheets were made nice and neat, the dresser sat in the middle of the room next to her desk, and the shades were wide open.

I walked into the room, still looking at my surroundings—I stopped in front of the mirror with all the pictures circling it. It looked the room belonged to Megan Montez, there were a bunch of pictures of her and some body, that looked very familiar—but the thing I found weird was how similar Megan and Jessica looked for being two years apart from one another. They could be paternal twins if you really thought about it and took a good look at them. I stepped away from the mirror and proceeded to look inside the desk.

I pulled the knobs of the longest compartment was and found a bunch of notebooks with a bunch of titles on them; my first thought was that Megan was a writer and that she liked writing stories or poems. I shut the drawer and then moved onto the smallest compartment; I pulled the knob to the small drawer and looked inside: there was a pack of gum, a book titled ‘Forbidden’, her school ID photo, Chap Stick, and then a small white container. I exhaled a little as I plucked the small container out of the desk, turned the top off and frowned; inside the container were little thumbtacks, but mixed in between them all was a small little razor blade.