Twenty Six

Seline woke up to her alarm going off. She looked over her shoulder to see her phone placed on the nightstand, then back to see FP sleeping soundly next to her. 

"Stay in bed," he said, groaning and curling his arms around her waist. 

"Can't. I'm a good noodle today. We can't have miss 'Mione finding out our little secret, huh?" Seline whispered in FP's face before kissing his lips. 

"Just like we can't have your sister, or the Blossoms, or the Coopers, or the Andrews finding out about our little secret?" 

Seline narrowed her eyes at FP's sleep-induced smile. "You think you're so cute, don't you?"

"I'm damn adorable," FP said before swatting at Seline's hip. "Now get up while you still can." 

Seline purred and did as she was told, rolling out of bed to rifle through her bag for new clothes, new everything. 

Seline sat in the front of the auditorium with her sister, watching Archie Andrews take the stage. 

"And what will you auditioning with?" Kevin asked into the microphone as Seline leaned toward Ronnie. 

"I didn't know Archie sang. " 

"He's a work in progress." 

"An original song that I wrote called 'I'll Try'," Archie spoke into the mic, only for the equipment to ring with feedback. 

"Try harder." A voice from the back of the auditorium called out. Seline turned to her sister, who shook her head. 

"Not our fight, Sels." Ronnie said, hushed. 

Seline pursed her lips at her sister then looked in the direction of the voice. A bunch of boys from the football team sat in the middle of the auditorium. She shook her head, her heels bracing the linoleum as the main boy spoke up again. 

"Maybe try not sucking so much." He called over the rows to Archie onstage. 

Seline looked at the fluster on Archie's face, only confirming herself in her action. She stood up and turned around. 

"I'd suggest the same for you, Captain Butterfingers. Can't hold a ball, let alone two." Seline hissed over the rows to the boy in the back. "I'd like to see you try and get up here, twinkletoes." 

The small crowd in the auditorium buzzed lowly as Seline pulled her skirt to its full length then turned and sat back down. 

"Now you've done it," Ronnie whispered, staring straight ahead at Archie still onstage. 

"At least I've done something." Seline responded, tugging out her lace top and giving Archie onstage a wink. 

Still, the amber haired boy onstage was too fazed by whatever he had inside to perform his original song. 

"Oh my god, what's happening?" Ronnie asked, staring at Archie continue to fluster and twitch his fingers on the neck of his guitar. 

"He's choking." A feminine voice from behind the Lodge girls spoke up. 

"Archie? Clock's ticking." Kevin spoke up and Seline shook her head. 

Archie grabbed the microphone, feedback relaying through the auditorium, before excusing himself and running off stage. The small crowd applauded his abrupt exit and laughed at his slight misfortune. 

Seline stood up with an exhale and grabbed her things, leaving after Archie. She patted her hand to Kevin's shoulder before throwing open the doors out of the auditorium and looking in the direction of Archie. 

She started down the hallway, with the auditorium doors opening again behind her. "Hey, you." A deep voice called after her. 

Seline barely slowly down, only glanced over her shoulder to see the traditional letterman jacket on the boy. She stopped to get a better look, then turned fully to see the stature on the boy. 

"You rang?" She asked, tilting her head and taking a few steps towards the heckler she yelled at in the auditorium. 

"Who do you think you are, huh? That in there had nothing to do with you." He pointed at the auditorium and Seline slowly followed his finger to the closed double doors. 

She could still hear Kevin Keller's voice going through the auditions. Seline slowly nodded. "Do you not know what that place is called? It's an aud-it-or-ium." She enunciated her words which only irritated the boy more. 

Seline narrowed her eyes. "Have to make sure you're getting some form of education in that thick skull of yours. Seeing as how you don't know manners." She looked the boy over again as he took a step towards her. 

She rested her hands on her hips and pressed her lips together, not intimidated by the football player. 

"That in there was a matter of teammates. You had no right to talk to me that way in there..."

"Seline," she rushed to add her name in before the football player called her anything else. "And I thought teammates were supposed to build each other up. What a captain we have here." 

The boy stared down at her, blinking at her response. 

"It's okay, big guy. You'll get 'em next time. Just have to practice." Seline pressed her palm to the tall boy's stomach, the only thing she could reach in heels to touch, and patted it. "Have a good day." 

She stepped away from the boy and returned down the hallway, not giving the boy a second glance. He stood in the hallway, staring after her. 

Seline followed her sister across the construction lot. "I don't know why you thought flowers would cheer her up. She had a snake at her job." 

"Too bad they don't have a card for that," Veronica said, holding onto the pot of purple flowers while they walked through the lot. 

Seline looked forward at the trailer to see her mother wrapped in arms with Mr. Andrews. She quickly stopped in front of her sister, pulling out her phone to fake an emergency. 

"Actually, Mom's not here, Ron. She just sent me a text telling me that Mr. Andrews sent her into town." She stared at her sister's face, waiting for a normal reaction of disappointment. 

"Oh," she said, looking down at the dark phone in Seline's hand. "Well, what do we do now?" 

Seline shrugged. "How about a milkshake at Pop's? I'm dying for some french fries." 

"Okay," Veronica added, turning as Seline put her arm around her shoulders. 

Seline looked back at the trailer, seeing their mother macking hard on Mr. Andrews, her fingers tangling in his hair. "Don't worry. I'll buy."