Chapter 21

Jada's body was curled on the floor beside the bed. My blanket wrapped around her tightly. I leaned over the side and picked her up off the floor so I was holding her on my lap. She wasn't very big and I could hold her like this all day. The thought of why she was sleeping on the floor made my heart wrench. She probably had to sleep on the floor enough living with that monster, now here she felt the need to lay beside the bed like a dog because I don't know how to get along with my brother.

I laid her down gently on my pillow and got up to get dressed. The sun was just barely up from behind the clouds in the sky. The trees were dark figures outside my window. This is the earliest I've ever really gotten up.

I walked to my closet and found a plain blue shirt and black jeans for the day. I carried them to the bathroom with me where I brushed  my teeth and combed my hair. I washed the dirt that caught under my finger nails and made sure to clip them. I decided to skip a shower since I was to tired to even care. I'd probably fall back asleep once the hot water hit me. I washed my face with a cold rag and got dressed in my clothes.

The tv was on downstairs and a body was placed in front. Making my way down I saw it was Lay, wide awake watching some kind of dark tv show. "What are you watching?" I asked him. His attention breaking from the tv to me then back to the image.

"I don't know, but it's really scary." He said and yawned.

"Were you up all night?" I questioned realizing his eyes were begging to be closed but he forced them open. He shook his head. "Lay you have work today." I exclaimed.

"It's not tomorrow." He said tiredly. I could see from the illuminating light from the tv that his eyes were red and puffy from his lack of sleep. A blanket was draped around his body and his jeans still on his legs. Only his shirt was gone. A few crushed cans of soda were thrown around. "There is no way it's tomorrow." He exclaimed throwing off the blanket and grabbing the tv remote, pulling up the guide. '6:45 AM' He's arm fell to his side on the couch as he stared at the early time on the screen. I knew Lay loved to sleep. He'd take it every time he could get it, but seeing as though he had to wake up in three hours was just crushing.

"Just try going to sleep now. At least you'll have some rest." I suggested, taking the remote from his hands and turning the tv off. "Lay down." I said to Lay who obeyed and laid down on the pillows next to him. "Close your eyes." I smiled and waited until he got comfortable then closed his eyes. I decided I'd buy breakfast on the way as I do not know how to cook or have time. I grabbed my badge and made my way out to my car. I checked my phone for an messages, only finding some voicemails, which I never check, so I ignored them and got in my car.

Cars and trees passed by quickly. I was more than tired to want to be driving to work. I arrived in the front. My friend Jiwon and Kim were standing out front. A cigarette in both their mouths. I knew it was going to be a long day if Kim was smoking, as It was not something he always done. I parked in a empty space up front and got out.

~

Work went by like days. When it finally ended I felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulders as I just wanted to go home. With the knowing that I was gonna be here tomorrow, I hurried out the door to get to my car. I am determined to beat traffic.

Looking in my rear view mirror I can see my hair was a mess and dried oil from the cars was dried on my face. I really look like a mess and I was tired. I ran my fingers through my hair and started my car. Cars were lining up trying to get out the gate.

My music is on low and I could hear scattered honking coming from the impatient people in front of me and behind me, but I was stuck on Jada.