Chapter 4 - Judicial dispute (1/5)

"Check the perimeter, GO! GO!, Do not let the containment escape!", echoed a voice of a guard. We ran through the flashing red hallway as an alarm rang out, signifying a lock down.

The muffled marches of the guards trailed behind us, getting closer each minute we turned directions.
Tourmaline with a determined face ignored them as if it was fine, but I was hesitant of her thought. We continued on passing the array of closed doors, she turned left to right looking for something, an opened door for an entry? I was unsure, but certainly she seemed to be searching for something. We stopped, entering a rotunda as we hid behind a maze of walls. Her face began to fade off confidence, she panted lingeringly, exhausted of running, and I was no exception.

"So, what do.. we do.. now?", I asked inhaling and exhaling as I did. Tourmaline shook her head incongruously. She walked over to a control panel for a door, I looked at the symbols marked on the entrance as it was coloured in white and marked with our language, 'W-47'. I immediately recognised the door as it was similar to the one inside my Diamond's ship. She tapped the screen, pressing the buttons displayed in a technological pattern. As she was doing this, I took a glance view at the gems huddled in the middle of the room, nearly a few feet away from where we were hiding. The light illuminating the rotunda glowed at its brightest pink as a blur of red light leaked in through the opened hallway doors. The Quartz gems and the Agates looked about, scattering themselves around the maze of walls, they were surely going to find us if we stayed there any more longer.

I walked over to a window nearby exposing my vision to the night sky and looked down to see that we were clearly on such a high floor but regardless of the beauty being displayed up front, it was no time to admire the scenery. Tourmaline was now struggling, she seemed reluctant and unsure as she pressed the buttons, as each she pressed now beeped in decline. She tapped in another code but nothing worked.
"Hukh! Nothing is working, what are we supposed to do now?!", whispered Tourmaline as she turned her attention to me. My elbow still was throbbing in pain, pouring out that liquid or whatever but I was oblivious to the sensation. I had only rubbed the limb, trying to keep the feeling off from the impending danger we were in.
"Well, I am no problem with getting out of this mess, its you that they're looking for! I can just easily confess my owner to be my Diamond and I'll be waltzing out of-..." I whispered to her but she cut me off,
"..No, you don't understand, that won't work! Why else would you think that they extinguish trespassers?", she remarked back at me.
"Wait, EXTINGUISH??!", she slapped her hand to her face as I said this. "Why did you think that this project is kept secretive? They won't even let the highest of the elites (the other Diamonds) have knowledge of this so what differs you from that? No come on, we don't have time for this, we need to unlock this door!", Tourmaline exaggerated to me.

  The taps of heels from an agate began to emit not far from behind but just when I thought they were going to leave, a  shadow was now visible behind a wall near us. I strained my hair, pulling it down in distress. Another beep from the panel emitted in decline, I knew that this was going to be the end for both of us. I looked at her as she looked at me, we both shot a terrified look at each other. Tourmaline dropped to the ground turning herself into a hunched ball, I was unsure, unsure of the possibility of us ever going to be able to get out of this. I looked at the window, taking a last look outside before I was going to be tormented if what Tourmaline said was true. I gained an idea. I turned to Tourmaline and grabbed her hand to pull her up,
"W - what are you going to do?", She questioned me nervously.

  The Agate's footsteps became louder as it approached us, nearly inches from revealing herself.
"Were going to jump!", I said as I gestured my vision to the window. She understood me and angered me to resort to another plan, but there was no other way that we had to do it. With out undetermined faces, I pulled her with me as we ran across the rotunda, and straight for the window. We took a leap and jumped straight out from the room, shattering the window into pieces as we fell into the clouds below.