TWENTY SIX

"Mycroft, Her Friend"

It had been a long time since anyone close to Genesis had died. She wasn't sure how to handle the grief; was the substantial amount of ice cream she was consuming normal and was she supposed to cry so much? She had isolated herself from David and Aria, unwilling to see them and trigger any worse feelings. While she binged How I Met Your Mother and finished a pint of ice cream she pushed the feeling of guilt down with her grief- she missed him. She missed her dad so damn much.

The door opens and shut dully from downstairs, Genesis barely acknowledged it as she hesitantly shovelled a spoon of cookie dough into her mouth beginning to finally feel ill. The door to the home cinema opened allowing a triangle of light to flood into the room. The only sound in the room was the laughter on the television and Genesis throwing her head back to rest on the chair. Turning to look to the door she purses her lips in a tired smile, her eyes dropping slightly as she feels bile bubbling in her stomach and a wave of tiredness overwhelming her.

"Hi." Mycroft steps away from the doorway on further into the room. "How was it?" He takes a seat beside her, silencing the television before turning his full attention to her. He had just returned from supposedly seeing Sherlock away to a six month mission. What Mycroft hadn't told her was that the mission would prove fatal for him.

"Sherlock, is staying in London." She had been prepared for a life without somehow returning to Sherlock Holmes. She had been ready to never see him again, to never hear from him again- but he was still in London. The idea of one day turning the news on and seeing her dad's murderer made her gag. Images of seeing her dad get gunned down and her Christmas dress permanently stained with his blood. There was still a red stain on her shins. A simple glance down at her cotton clad legs was enough to set her going.

Keeling over, she vomited over the pint of ice cream in her lap and the floor in front of her. Mycroft's lip turned up as she released the ice cream she had eaten over the past two days onto his carpeted floor; while she gagged over the puddle he cautiously reached out to rest a hand on her back. Wiping her mouth with the back of her wrist it took less than a second for a sob to rack her body. Shaking her head as Mycroft's hand travels up and down her back she closes her eyes and allows the hot tears to roll over her cheeks and to the smelling puddle on the floor.

"I'm sorry." She sobs, clamping her teeth into her skin to muffle her sobs, ashamed to be crying in front of him. "I'm sorry I've messed up your room and now I'm crashing into your life- a stinking, blubbering mess." Shaking her head, she stands to her feet shaking out her hands and blundering over the seats. "I'm sorry. I'll clean it up. I'm sorry. I'm sorry." Her sobbing and blubbering had only intensified as she stumbled over her feet to find her way to the tissue or whatever cleaning supply she could.

As she tripped into the door frame she turned and sunk to the ground, pulling her knees close to her chest. Mycroft approached her, knowing he should comfort her but unsure exactly how. He knelt by her, bracing himself on the wall, eyebrows scrunched as she continues to cry with her head leant back against the wall. Closing her eyes as he stretches his legs out and sits beside her, she sniffs and turns her head to look at him.

"I'm sorry, Mycroft." He narrows his eyes at her.

"For what?" Clenching her jaw, Genesis shakes her head; her face scrunches up as she begins bawling once again.

"I don't know!" She falls forward to bury her face in her knees. Unable to watch her suffer any more, Mycroft remembers the day she broke down after telling them her mother was gone. That was four years after. He dreaded seeing her fresh into grief.

Reaching out, he cups the top of her neck and draws her close. He lets her cry into his shoulder; for once in his life he didn't care if his suit was ruined, he could afford to fix it. For now, his friend was suffering.

"Maybe you should have a glass of water and sleep some. You need to clear your mind, you're confused." Nodding into his now damp shoulder, Genesis sniffs and pulls away from the hug. Wiping her hand under her nose she laughs a little.

"When did you become a therapist?" His face becomes stony and serious.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Satisfied with the small amusement showing on her face, Mycroft assisted her to the bedroom he had allowed her to take residence in- leaving her with a glass of water and a 'good night'.