TWENTY EIGHT

"A Friend In Need"

John and Mary's daughter, Rosamund, was precious. Surprisingly she was quiet and content in Genesis's arms which had them immediately asking if she would be alright with babysitting every now and then- she said yes of course. Despite not usually being a fan of children, Genesis was beginning to warm up to the infant of her new friends.

John had shown up on the doorstep of Mycroft's home late one night with Sherlock hanging back by the taxi and Rosie resting on his chest. Genesis had answered the door, Mycroft having been at the office late that night. Rosie had been left in her care while he went after Mary. He trusted Rosie with Genesis where there was a considerable amount of security compared to Baker Street or Molly's little flat.

Mycroft had returned home early the next morning to find Genesis asleep on the couch with Rosie asleep on her chest. He left his shoes and blazer in the cloakroom and discarded his briefcase in his study before wandering into the lounge and placing his umbrella in a stand by the doorway.

Gently shaking Genesis' shoulder he motions to Rosie.

"Do you want me to put her upstairs?" Giving a tired noise of agreement, Genesis does the best she can in her tired and hazy state to lift Rosie up enough for Mycroft to take her before her eyes flutter shut again. "Are you going to go to bed too?" Waking up with a startled snore she attempts to sit up, legs flailing in her unbalanced struggle.

"Yep! Yeah!" Falling to her knees on the floor she clambers quickly to her feet, offering him a tired lop-sided smile. "Yeah, I am." With a firm nod of his head, and an involuntary glimmer of amusement in his eye, Mycroft turns and begins to approach the stairs with Rosie held carefully against his shoulder. Genesis watches him for a moment from the bottom step before jogging to catch up with him.

"Sherlock was so convinced Moriarty was behind the Thatcher busts he didn't even stop to consider anything otherwise." Mycroft raises an eyebrow, keeping his eyes forward.

"And you did?" When they reach the guest room that had been slightly converted into a nursery for Rosie, Mycroft turns to Genesis as she smirks and raises an eyebrow looking unusually smug.

"Of course I did."

▪~○••○~▪

Later that day John arrived to collect Rosie. Mycroft had allowed him to enter the house and showed him to the library, there they found Genesis sat crossed-legged on the floor with Rosie in her lap playing with a puppet book.

"Where's Spot, Rosie?" She lifts a felt flap and bring the book closer to their faces. The sandy dog finger puppet pops up and pokes the little girl's nose. "There she is!" Glancing up, Genesis notices John and Mycroft watching. Leaning into Rosies ear she whispere to the laughing baby. "Uh oh, Daddy's found us!" Rosie looks up, laughing and smiling toothlessly up at her father. As John collects Rosie from his friend's grip she smiles and stands along with him, brushing her hands of on her trousers. "She was a star, John, she slept well. I slept well... I think we all slept well." The smile on her face as Rosie pulled faces at her was completely genuine and carefree, a look John had never seen before and one Mycroft had been missing in one way or another.

"Yes, well, Mary asked me to bring you back as well. She wants your help."

"With what?" He shrugs as they walk towards the front door, lifting Rosie's nappy bag onto his shoulder.