FIVE

Mycroft, Her Hero

The Christmas Holiday came sooner than expected. The final week ended with games and movies and dress down days. Miss Murdock was back for the last week and was more than happy for Sherlock and Victor Trevor to stay in her room with Genesis. On the last day, the children could go home immediately after lunch and so, Miss Murdock gifted the three children Cadburys chocolate selection boxes before walking them to the gates to bid farewell to the rest of her class. Genesis, Victor Trevor and Sherlock hid their selection boxes behind their backs and whispered between themselves.

"Genesis." Sherlock whispers and she leans closer to him. "Is that your mum talking to my mum?" Following his finger, Genesis notices her mother chatting happily to the woman she had met at the Christmas Mayhem who was Sherlock's mother. Their classmates had begun running to their own parents after signing out with their teachers. Sherlock and Victor Trevor quickly signed out with their teacher before splitting ways so that Victor Trevor could go to his parents. Sherlock and Genesis trudged up the small grassy hill and handed their parents their selection boxes.

"Oh good! I do love chocolate!"

"No, Mummy!" Sherlock snatches his chocolate back. "I'm going eat it before you do... or perhaps I should worry more about Mycroft." Watching the scene, Genesis giggles as Holly absent-mindedly plays with her hair. Sherlock smirks at her and pulls away from his mother's hand as she attempts to play with his curls. "Where's Eurus?" He frowns and looks around. Resting her hand on his shoulder, his mother begins to turn away.

"We need to collect her from her entrance. Come on." Holding her hand out to Holly she smiles. "It was lovely meeting you Holly, you'll have to pop round for tea one day- you could bring Genesis also seeing as she seems to get along so well with Sherlock."

"Thank you, Violet," Holly smiles and begins guiding Genesis away, "we will be round next week sometime."

"Sounds like a plan!"

Before they can go home, Holly makes a stop at the small kiosk at the end of their street to pick up some milk and ingredients for that night's dinner. As the bell above the door rings the musty smell of the used-to-be cottage hits them immediately. A kind old man from behind the counter looks up from his crossword and offers them a toothless smile before returning to the paper in front of him. While Holly bee-lined for the spices aisle, Genesis headed for the fridges to collect a pint of milk and a pint of chocolate milk. The bell above the door rang as she approached her mother, struggling with the two pints of milk, Holly turns to her holding two spices.

"What do you think, Ginger or Garlic?" Looking up, her eyes widen and she drops the spices, lunging towards her daughter. She's too late as the black masked attacker grabs the ten-year-old, causing the two pints of milk to fall to the floor, coating their feet in the liquid. Holding her hand out hesitantly, Holly flinches as a gun is pressed into her daughter's skull. "Please!" She flinches again as the attacker steps backwards. "Please, she's my daughter."

"I know," they hiss in an unnaturally deep voice, "more importantly she is Charles Magnussen's daughter and he has some wrongs to right before you can get her back." they turn away leaving Holly crying after him. Suddenly, Genesis' scream and a smash have her running to them. Seeing the person unconscious on the floor with her daughter trapped beneath their body, Holly rushes forwards and pulls her daughter to her and grips her tightly. Glancing up, she finds an overweight teenager standing in front of her with a smashed glass coca cola bottle in his hand. As she stands to get a better look at him the doorbell opens again with more people rushing in.

"Mycroft!" As police officers pile around the four of them and the old man knocked out behind the counter. Violet rushes to Mycroft with Sherlock and her daughter- Eurus- close behind. Holly holds Genesis tight on her hip as though the ten-year-old was once again two years old. Sherlock didn't take his eyes away from the man on the ground, glaring at the mask and leaning down to rip it away to show a young man with a sharp bone structure. Eurus stared at the gash on his forehead while Mycroft continuously shrugged his mother's fretting hands away. The shop was beginning to become overcrowded and Holly excused herself alongside a policeman so she could step outside for some air.

A medic ran from an ambulance with two orange shock blankets and wrapped them around the girls. The Holmes' stepped out and stood around them. Sherlock immediately ran to Genesis and hugged her- he didn't know what had happened but knew immediately that the girl needed a hug. Eurus sat in the middle of the pathway running a sharp rock over the palm of her hand while Violet ran her hand up Holly's back.

Mycroft crouches behind his brother and gives Genesis' face a once over.

"You're okay." It's a statement rather than an enquiry but she nods anyway.