Chapter Twenty-Four

[ P R E S E N T ]

Nova carefully handed out a sandwich on a plate to every Glader without tripping or spilling, but of course they would be kind enough to help her out if needed. It wasn't like the first few months when every kept forgetting her lack of vision. Its almost been four years in the Glade, everyone could no longer forget about how her body works.

Once everyone had their lunches and was satisfied, Nova made her way to the slammer where Ben had resided.

Once at the slammer, Nova instantly sensed the emotion of sulking. Ben wasn't very happy, he was more depressed if anything about the whole ordeal.

She sensed the particles of yellow bundled up on his head, which told her that his hands were holding his face and the side of his head. All he could feel was pain, pressure and fear.

Nova lightly sighed to herself, "Ben?" she spoke his name calmly, not wanting to put anymore stress on his shoulders. She wished him well, but you can't always get what you wanted.

"Ben?" She repeated, guessing he didn't hear her the first time.

And then finally with a bundle of saliva, "What do you want?" the words poured out of his mouth viciously, like a trail of poison. Venomous hatred trailing along his black veins.

He had yet to be given the Griever Serum...

"I, um-" Nova paused to swallow a lump of nerves down her throat. "-I brought you lunch. Thought you'd be hungry."

Nova could feel the tension between her and Ben, she tried to be cautious as she didn't know what he could do with such anger.

She slowly lowered herself down onto her knees, grabbed one of the bars with her left hand, and slowly lowered the plate into the slammer with her right. Being sure to be careful, as Ben could snap at any moment.

Until suddenly, that moment became reality. Ben did snap, the last straw had officially been pulled in his nerves.

Ben took the chance, turned around, and came forwards towards her. Nova lost her grip on the plate, as the food was ruined in the dirt inside the slammer.

Nova let out a light gasp in pure shock, as Ben had grabbed her by the neck. Nova's breath turned ragged as it quickened, her fear meter slowly rising. She didn't know what he was going to do, she was honestly petrified.

Ben was dangerous, and she knew that. But... all she wanted was to give him lunch, she thought it would be a kind way of telling him that she was sorry for everything... but apparently she was wrong. She was very wrong.

"Do you have any clue what you cost me, Nova?" Ben asked, his voice raspy and hoarse.

Nova didn't answer at first, she didn't know what to say.

Ben pulled her closer. Nova's face squished against the wooden bars of the slammer, as she trampled onto her stomach, no longer leaning down.

"Do you?" Ben asked again, with a haunting whisper.

Nova opened her mouth, but yet, she had no words to properly give.

"Answer me!" Ben yelled.

Nova's breath felt heavier when he had said that. "I'm-I'm-" She stuttered, not able to function.

Her fear was too great.

That was another flaw of her's...

Ben suddenly saw the tremor in her eyes, his eyes softened. He soon realized what he was doing, and he was back in control again.

He let Nova go, and stumbled onto his bottom in the dirt. "I-I'm sorry, Nova." He breathed hard. "I'm sorry." He repeated, his voice shaky.

Nova sat herself on her legs, rubbing at her neck. "Its okay." She cleared her throat. "Its gonna be okay."

Despite what had just happened, and how horrible he treated her. Despite it all. Nova forgave Ben. Because everyone makes mistakes.

Suddenly thinking about her argument with Newt. Her own advise was correct, everyone really does make mistakes...

Nova was getting ready to leave the slammer, she needed to find Newt. Because as much as she hated to admit it, Newt was right.

"Wait!" Ben spoke.

Nova stopped, she listened.

"Why?" Ben asked, his voice low. "Why did you stop me?" He looked up at her with secret guilt in his eyes that Nova will never be able to see. "Thomas. Its his fault, he is the reason we are all stuck in this shucking prison." He finished, trying his hardest not to lose control again.

Nova didn't know what to say to that, as she ran through the fields of the Glade. It was Newt she wanted to talk to, no one else.

"Find Thomas!" Ben yelled at her, his voice echoing. "You'll all see!"

It was like a haunting chant that lingered in Nova's head, as she ran.

---------------

Here's chapter 24! :)

I know its kinda short, but I wanted another filler, to keep the story going.

I hope y'all enjoy. <3

xoxo