26 The Big House

Percy

Annabeths fingers tightened around my own, and I gave her hand a squeeze.

"Move out?" Chiron asked. He seemed surprised, but at the same time, not so much. He glanced down at mine and Annabeths entwined hands.

"I want a normal life," I said. "I don't want this life, you know? I'm older now. Running around with swords in the woods, it's just...." As blunt as it was, it was true. Chiron looked hurt, but I could tell he understood.

"I wouldn't blame you," Chiron said, raising an eyebrow. "Neither did all the other half bloods that were once in your place and moved out of these borders to find their own death."

I started to say something, but Annabeth cut me off and put a hand on my chest. "I'm sorry for his point forwardness," she said giving me a glare, "and ignorance of perspective. We believe in opportunities with attempting to live a normal life. That's what we mean to say. We feel like, despite the consequences, we're strong enough to face them, especially together."

"Now you know why there aren't many adult half bloods," Chiron said with a sigh. "I can't stop you. You're 18 now. You're not children anymore, I suppose. I can only ask of you one thing. Please, stay close to the camp."

Did he really just...

Agree?

Did he really agree to letting a son of the Big 3 walk out of this camp for no reason but to live a normal everyday life?

Annabeth cheered and jumped on me. I caught her and kissed her quickly, knowing Chiron was right beside of us. Annabeth leaned into my chest as she thanked Chiron for his generosity and understanding.

I hoped she realized, no matter what he said, I'd walk out of these borders whenever I wanted.

Not like I hadn't before.

We said goodbye to Chiron and walked out of the Big House hand in hand. It was stifling hot today, at a toasty 91 degrees.

A normal life, huh?

Annabeth and I would soon embark on a whole new journey then.

"Percy!" Yelled somebody from down in the commons. I turned to see Piper.

"Hey Pipes," I said. "What is it?"

"Leo wants to talk to you," she replied.

I felt dread and anger. I kept my composure, though. I turned to Annabeth and we made eye contact. A silent pact, that she better be doing this with me. With her there, it would be a lot easier to control myself.

"Ok," I said bluntly, and walked towards the Hephaestus cabin.

We walked in the door to find Leo alone on his bunk. I assumed the other Hephaestus kids were in their workshop.

"Percy," Leo looked up. His face was tired. It was drained of color, and he was a deathly pale. His eyes seemed low, and they were accompanied by bags, as if he hadn't been sleeping. He hung his head in guilt.

"I already know," Percy said. "I forgive you."

"I'm so sorry," Leo began. "I had no clue. Not even an idea of what was happening, cause of the drugs but... And Liam, apparently he'd trapped them in. Rigged your parents apartment door. Otherwise, they could've gotten out. Everybody else did. I just, I don't know Percy. I'm just so sorry. It's all my fault, my fault, as usual." Leo took a shaky breath. "Just the thought of Sally and Paul, trapped... it's all my fault." He shook. Liam rigged their doors? He trapped them? "And the fire escape," Leo said. "The windows were locked. Wouldn't budge." Leo continued shaking and breathing heavily. "Just knowing somebody's life ended because of me, just knowing it was somebody I cared about. Again. Again." I saw a tear on his cheek.

"Leo," I said. "I forgive you."

The only person I couldn't forgive was myself.

And Liam.

And my father.