27 A New Life

Percy

Leo and I talked for a long while. That evening, Annabeth and I left camp to go into the city for a date.

We ate dinner and walked through the city and Central Park, and finally took a trip to the beach. We kicked off our shoes and ran in the sand, kicking the water running through the surf. It was almost sunset.

I had been planning to do this for a long, long, time. I'd even planned it out before we even mentioned the rest of our lives.

We were holding hands as the sun set with a thousand colors.

"I love this," Annabeth said. "It's much different than watching it from the shores of Camp." She threw a seashell into the sea.

"Hey, that seashell hit a fish in the head," I said a few seconds after it hit the water.

"Seriously?" Annabeth asked.

"Yes," I said. "But it's okay. It's a dumb fish anyways."

"I forget you can talk to fish..." Annabeth muttered.

"I talk to you," I said.

Annabeth rolled her eyes and playfully smacked me. "I love being in love with my best friend."

"I love being in love with my best friend, and I love that my best friend loves me back," I said. "Because for about 4 years, I wasn't exactly sure."

"You're an idiot and couldn't see it," Annabeth said. "Everybody else did."

"Well..." I shrugged. "You were confusing."

"Well, I was confused," Annabeth said.

"Confused?" I asked, laughing. "My wise girl, confused."

"Confused on several things... like... who you were, if you liked me, how I could like somebody that much, how a boy like you interested me, how I was going to deal with this, how you could ever like somebody like me," she laughed.

"How could I like somebody like you?" I asked. "How could I not? You're everything I've ever wanted, dreamed of, everything."

"I love you," Annabeth said.

"I love you too," I replied.

"But I still had to kiss you first," Annabeth said.

I laughed. "Right."

"Did it clear any confusion up at all when I did that?" She asked.

"Nope," I replied. "Confused me more."

"I had to," She said. "It was just something I had to do." I smiled at her. "You didn't kiss me back though."

"Sorry," I said. "Can I do that now?"

"As many times as you want," she replied.

I kissed her.

"You're my world, did you know that?" I said, kissing her again.

"I don't want anybody else to be your world," she said.

"Nobody ever will be," I said. If all goes to plan. I felt my palms sweating. I hope Annabeth couldn't tell.

"It's so beautiful," Annabeth breathed.

"Almost as beautiful as you," I said. She blushed. "I could get used to this for the rest of my life. Whats prettier, watching the sunset, or watching you watch the sunset? Everybody knows that answer."

"I love you," She said.

"I love you more," I said.

"Do not," she argued.

"I do too," I said. "I'll prove it."

"Prove it?" She asked.

I stopped walking, and took her hands, looking into her eyes.

"We've always competed," I said. I stepped away and got down on one knee, and reached for my pocket. "I think I won this one." Annabeths mouth dropped, as I pulled out the shining silver ring from my pocket and opened the box. "Annabeth Chase, will you make me the happiest man alive and marry me?" I asked. She moved her hands over her mouth, in shock, before nodding.

She then breathed out, "Yes. Yes Perseus Seaweed Brain Jackson, a thousand times over and I'd still say yes. Forever."

She jumped in my arms and I kissed her and held her. The ocean calmly lapped over our feet. Annabeth and I looked down and softly laughed, and I twirled her around in the ankle deep water. We stayed at the beach until the darkness encircled everything around us.

We then jumped in my car and went back to my parents apartment to spend the night. We talked over everything in our future, drawing up blueprints to our house even (well, Annabeth did that), talking about everything we'd do as we laid in bed falling asleep. We had so many plans. Trust me, I know some things don't always go as planned, but I have a good feeling about this one, and I will hold onto the hope.

It was over now, it was all okay. My scars would heal in time. Annabeth would heal them, a new life will heal them, children will heal them. In time, I would be okay. But there was one thing I knew: the only place I felt something close to okay was beside Annabeth. And I wanted to stay beside her for the rest of my life.

End of Book