Chapter Eighteen

It wasn't real, it wasn't real to me. I felt like I was in a dream— no, a nightmare— where everyone I loved an cherished were killed one by one.

The people ordered to kill me, I had no idea who the hell they were or who they worked for. Who the hell even wanted me dead?!

All Yoongi and Taehyung told me about was my sister, what about my parents? What about my whole past? Who were the people trying to kill me and who did they work for? My whole life still felt so unknown, it felt like a blur.

It was Taehyung who held me so close like his life depended on it, I had my legs around his waist as he picked me up. I lay on his back, my face pressed against his shoulder as I could barely move. The burning sensation coming from my shoulder was the only thing keeping me awake, partially. Yoongi ran behind us, followed by Namjoon, Jungkook, Jimin and Seokjin.

I didn't realise until we had been miles away from the cabin that we were missing one, one special puzzle. Jung Hoseok, where was he? It didn't occur to me that he had gotten into danger until we were too far away to help him.

It was like a daze, everything was a blur. I could see everything going by slow, panic and fear shown through the scenes I've been watching as Taehyung ran away with the rest of us.

Then we were in the middle of the forest, I felt myself sitting on a pile of dried leaves, my blurry sight only on the large tree above me I laid my back against.

I could see Taehyung slowly taking the bullet out of my shoulder, I could see Yoongi's horrified face as we ran. Everything was mixed around, memories in different time orders.

I was afraid I had gone crazy, I was scared to not realize what I had become. What if the bullet hit a nerve, or it hit my heart? What would happen next? Would I die?

So many questions racing through my head, memories from my youth, Minsoo and new unknown memories blooming like a flower in spring.

It had dawned to me, that this was life. This wasn't a video game where you could start over. I had realized how important everyone was to me, the sadness started creeping in.

I had a special place in my heart for every single person I had met throughout my life. I could almost feel the love just by recalling the memories, I could feel the warmth and happiness.

Maybe if I had met them in another occasion, in another life time, maybe I could've been happy? Maybe we could all be happy?

Instead of running for our lives and losing the ones we loved, we could be at home watching Korean dramas and eating ramen noodles as a loving family.

Minsoo could've been there, my nephew could've been there, Bangtan and my boyfriend Jungkook. If things had been different, I was sure I would be happy. But this was real life, the real world where evil was a true thing.

+

"Mina," My father smiled dearly down at me. "I've got all the paper work done, in no time we'll be getting your new brother!"

"Aren't you excited dear?" My mother smiled dearly down at me, stroking my hair in comfort.

"Brother?" I asked in confusion, but my parents seemed like they didn't hear or see the real me. It was as if I had traveled back in time where no one saw me, as if everything I said was unheard.

"Mina!" Minsoo called from the front door. "Taehyung said he's stopping by with Jungkook, we should get ready!"

"Sister?" I called out, but no one ever replied.

"Mina, you're going to love your new older brother!" Mother smiled. "He looks just like you! Isn't that crazy?!"

"Show me a picture!" 

It didn't occur to me that it was me who said it.

"Look" My father smiled, handing me a printed photo from the adoption center. "His name is Lim Jae Beom"

+

"Hello brother," I had said, a smile on my face.

"Jae Beom?" I called out.

"I am not your brother," He said coldly, staring deep into my eyes. "I will never be, my name is JB"

"Brother?" I asked again, but he didn't hear me.

"I'm sorry, JB," I muttered. "But mother said you would be my new older brother, she said you'd protect me from harm and be kind to me!"

"She was lying," He said seriously. "Gangsters aren't kind to strangers"

"But Dad is kind to us," I pouted.

"Dad?"

"Your dad is weak, as soon as his gang sees his weak side for pathetic kids they'll be sure to kill all four of you," He muttered. "Your father, for having a lover and children behind the gangs back, your mother for being the fool to fall in love with a gangster, your sister Minsoo for holding the child of a man from an enemy gang and you for being the idiot to think such things don't happen"

+

"Mina" 

"Mina, wake up"

I eyes peeled open, looking at my surroundings carefully.

"She's awake!" Someone else called out.

"Who...?" I looked at the man staring deep into my eyes kindly and worriedly.

"Do you remember me?" He asked, almost crying.

I held my hand to his cheek before pushing a strand of hair from his forehead.

"Taehyung," I muttered unknowingly.

"You were saying a shit ton of things during your sleep" He muttered. "Do you remember?"

"I- I remember Lim Jae Beom, JB," I muttered. "I remember Minsoo and my parents, my adopted brother who was a gangster. I remember everything"

He smiled, sighing in relief. 

"Do you know who I am?"

"Minsoo's boyfriend, the father of her child," I said. "The cold yet delicate Kim Taehyung"

And with that he smiled, leaning closer and pressing his lips against my forehead.

"I lost Minsoo, but I'm definitely not losing you"