All That We Are Is Sugary

Baz

I've never sang in front of people before. I've played violin in front of hundreds of people at musical competitions, but never sang. Not even for my family, aside from lullabies for Mordelia when she was very small. I quite liked it, though I don't think I'll do it again. Not for anyone but Simon. My magic was feeling a bit depleted after fighting that intergalactic worm-beast, and after taking care of Simon's illness, but the adrenaline rush that always accompanies performing seems to have refilled my magickal supply.

As Micah and I walk back over to our respective significant others, I find myself unable to look away from Simon, thinking about his reaction. Wondering what other surprises the day will offer.

We reach Si and Bunce, and I wrap an arm around Simon's waist. Bunce glances back at the tables.

"It looks like nearly everyone is done eating the main course dishes," she says to Simon and I, "Is it time to bring out the cake?" Simon throws me an excited look. I grin at him, laughing a little.

"By the look on Simon's face, I'm going to say yes, Bunce, it is."

It takes around ten minutes for the servers to wheel the cake out to us. An excited hush falls over the crowd, all eyes on Simon and I and our cake. It's four tiers of chocolate (Simon's favourite), with brushstrokes of gold accenting the white frosting, decorated with frosted hydrangeas; it's utterly gorgeous. Together, Simon and I grasp the knife, extending it forward and cutting the first slice of cake. The guests cheer as we do, and cheer even more loudly as Simon and I smear frosting onto each other's faces. He and I are laughing, trying to avoid getting frosting on our suits but attempting to get as much as possible onto each other's faces. Everything smells and tastes like sugar, but I couldn't care less.

As Simon's hand dives in to deliver a fresh smear of frosting to the tip of my nose, I tilt up my chin, catching his finger on my lip and licking off the frosting with a smirk. To my utter delight, Simon's cheeks and ears grow pink. With a wink to Simon, I turn to face the tables, grinning.

"All right, come and get it, everyone!"