Untitled Part 18

I got back to school on Monday and found my friends. 

"Quinn, have you heard about Jack?" Matt asked me.

"What?" I asked, going into concern.

"He's really ill and in hospital," Noah answered.

"With what?" I asked.

"I don't know, but it's really bad," Matt said,

"Is this a prank?" I asked.

"No, I promise, I'll text him right now," Matt said and got his phone out and texted Jack. Who replied that he's on loads of medication.

"I hope he's ok," I said. Jack's my best friend and if anything bad happened, it would affect me forever. We couldn't find out more because the bell went, which meant I had to go to math. Me, Matt and Noah walked in and took our seats at different sides of the room. Then Mrs Arthur began teaching us about using the multiplier for percentages. 

"Hey," Dan whispered to me. I looked over to him with a questioning glance. "I don't get this. Math sucks."

I grinned. "I guess you need help then."

"Thanks," He smiled.

"Oi! Quinn, stop talking!" Mrs Arthur warned.

"Sorry," I said.

"For that, do this question on the board," She said and beckoned me up with the pen. I got up and took the whiteboard pen, looking at the question. Increase 65 by 76%.

"Well, the multiplier is 1.76. So 65 times 1.76 is... I don't have a calculator on me," I said awkwardly. Mrs Arthur handed me one and I typed the question in. "114.4. Round it down and we get 114."

"Well done, Quinn," She said, "sit back down."

I sat back down in my seat and I felt a text come through on my phone. But I didn't look at it. Mrs Arthur goes mental if she catches you. So I had to wait until break. 

\/\/\/

I'm in tears. It's Jack. He could die. He has... cancer. A really rare type which is incurable. The survival rate isn't high either. I don't want to lose Jack. I've known him all of my school life. And now he might leave. 

(DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT KNOW MUCH ABOUT CANCER. SO IF I GET ANYTHING WRONG PLEASE TELL ME. I'M NOT GOING INTO MASSIVE DETAIL EITHER BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT IT LIKE I SAID EARLIER. I DO KNOW SOMEONE WHO HAS HAD CANCER AND LOST THE FIGHT SO I KNOW THE PAIN OF LOSING SOMEONE TO IT BUT I DIDN'T KNOW THEM LIKE A CLOSE FRIEND. I'M NOT TRYING TO OFFEND OR BE RUDE AND I AM DEEPLY SORRY IF I AM. THANKS)

"What're we going to do?" Kix asked.

"We need to be strong," Queenie said, "It sounds hard but we need to be strong for him."

"Queenie's right," Alfie said, "That's what he'd want."

"Yeah," I said through silent tears.

"Quinn, I'm sorry, you've known Jack the longest out of all of us," Matt said, giving me a side hug.

"I'll get through it, you know me," I said, with tears still falling down my cheeks. 

"I'll bet you can," Queenie said. 

The bellwent, meaning me, Queenie and Kix had Spanish. 

\/\/\/\/\/

I was going to the Brobly household after school today. I couldn't stop thinking of Jack. He could die soon and I don't want that. I knocked on the door and Colby answered, with Bradley in his arms.