Chapter 5: Laws and Passions

I had stood up, finally convincing myself that I would let them fall as they would. If this did happen, I wouldn't resist. Although, I do want some questions answered before anything else happens. The first and obvious one was what she was meaning when she meant that I had healed her. I don't know what caused her to say that, or what convinced her that I had done that, but there was something fishy about it, and that wasn't because of a nearby river. A thought came to me, not my own. I started to think back on what happened in my time here. As I thought, one thought, one sentence, came to mind.

"But you will receive a gift, one that will help you, and others that you so choose." The idea, even though what I've seen and heard, it seemed ludicrous. There was no way that I could be given some kind of power to go and heal others. I didn't even intend for it to happen! There had to be something else at work here. Something I wasn't seeing. I looked in the general room to see if I could find Serena, but she wasn't there. I felt like I knew where she was, but a part of me was wishing she wasn't. I walked over to Rena's room, and sure enough, I found Serena there with her back to me, and her head buried in her paws. A part of me wanted to run, avoid this all together, but another part of me kept me to my word with Rena. Eventually, my conscious ruled that my promise was worth more than my common sense. I walked up to Serena until I was a few feet away.

"Serena?" She flinched, looked at me, then started to go red. I caught tears in her eyes as she took a few steps back. "Serena, look, I'm not.... it's okay." She seemed to be hesitant. I know I wasn't doing a good job at trying to convince her, but it was what was coming to my mind.

"I'm so sorry." Serena said trying to control her voice from cracking. "My mind just-"

"I understand." I interrupted. "But... I want to understand something else." I walked over till I was at the edge of the bed and sat down. I didn't take my stare away from Serena, then asked her my question. "What did you mean when you said I healed you?" Serena seemed to regain herself enough to stop crying and let her face return to normal a little. I brought up my legs and folded them on the bed. Serena struggled for a second to regain her voice, but then spoke.

"My scar." Serena said. "You healed my scar. It's not there anymore." I looked at her a little befuddled.

"What?"

"I can't feel it anymore." Serena said. "The pain doesn't come back when I touch where it was." I was about to ask if she was touching the right spot, but then I started to scold myself. She would know of course where the scar would be if it were there for sixty years of her life. Instead, I put a hand to my head.

"But... I can't heal." I said. "There should be no way that I can do that." Serena's voice turned stern somewhat.

"But you have." Serena said. "You healed me. You took away a scar that had been there for over sixty years of my life." My head spun a little bit. If that was true, then how did I do that? Is it just through physical contact? That would explain.... no, it couldn't be true. It wouldn't, and I was determined to prove it to myself.

"Is it alright if I feel it again?" I asked. Serena looked at me a little surprised, then, hesitantly, walked closer to me until I could reach her neck. I reached out to feel where I had felt the scar, but then my hand hesitated. Something already told me that it was gone. Despite the feeling, I brushed her neck where she had guided me before. I felt around with my fingers, but I couldn't feel anything. I thought about pulling some of the fur apart to look, but that would only show more distrust than I was already showing, and I was already cringing inwardly at how gutsy I was getting.

"It's not there." Serena said. "It's gone, because of you." I put my hand back to my head, pulling my other hand away from her neck. I felt like such an idiot. I don't know why, but it... this shouldn't have been possible.