Checkmate

It was almost time.

Alfred could feel himself getting more and more anxious as it began to get late. Looking at the sky, he could see the delicate red and orange tint in the sunset beginning to fade in the distance.

"Tino, Berwald, take your positions." Alfred ordered. Both the men nodded, and went to their respective places along with knights that were under their command.

"Lord Alfred, is there anything you want us to do?" A knight kneeled from beside him. Alfred's eyes scanned the twenty-some soldiers, and began the first phase of his plan.

"Why don't we have a drink, men?" Alfred chuckled. "You have all deserved it."

"Who are we to argue against orders!" The men sang. They all walked joyously to the nearest bar, and immediately set to drinking. Alfred sat on a stool further away from the loud, boisterous knights that chugged beer after beer. His eyes didn't miss the scared look in the Diamond Bartenders face as she rustled back and forth behind the counter for the endless demands of booze.

"Another one!"

"Work faster woman! I've been waiting too damn long!"

Alfred gritted his teeth at the fact that none of his men had any respect for citizens of the Diamond kingdom. It's hard to believe that years ago, The Kingdom of Spades and Diamonds were strong allies. In fact, both Kingdom's were so close that they had open borders. Which unfortunately, is one of the ways that Spades overthrew the Diamonds.

"Do you mind if I sit here?"

Alfred looked to his left to see a young knight grinning from ear to ear. He looked around his age, with black hair and brown eyes. The young knight must have lost a bit of confidence at Alfred observing him, because he scratched the back of his head in embarrassment.

"Sorry about that, I tend to say things before thinking. I should know better than to try and sit next to a prince." He says, and tries to leave before Alfred stops him.

"Sorry about that dude, I'm just a little sidetracked. Come sit down." Alfred grinned. The other boy grinned back, and sat down eagerly.

"I just wanted to say thanks, the other guys were restless all week and have been dying for a break." He says.

"It's no problem." Alfred says. "So what's your name?"

"My name is Owen Niles. I barely joined about a month ago, and am a proud knight for the Kingdom of Spades!" Owen eagerly replies, pumping his fist in the air.

"So why aren't you joining the guys over there?" Alfred asks, pointing just in time to see a knight faceplant the ground.

"Oh, I'm only fifteen so I'm not old enough to drink." Owen chuckles.

"That explains it." Alfred sweat drops at another drunken knight singing on top of the table. "So since you're here, why don't you tell me about yourself?"

"I'm not really interesting." Owen blushes. "I'm an only child, and grew up attending private school. My parents are royals, and are such worrywarts when it comes to me. As a matter of fact, they wanted me to become a scholar, but I knew I was destined for something else."

Alfred merely nodded. From what he could decipher, it seemed like the kid grew up pampered, but wanted something more. Owen turned and stared back, a new fire in his eyes.

"I always wanted to be a knight! To be able to defend the name of Spades is an honor, and I wanted to be apart of that. I have made a pledge of loyalty to the king, and I will happily serve under you as well."