Warm Up

"I... I'm so cold." Alice said shivering. 

"I know baby, we will get you warm soon, I promise." FP said now crying tears of joy that she is alive. 

"Here, have my jacket." Betty said taking it off and placing it on top of her moms bare chest. "We should get her home now, before it gets colder out here." FP said gently picking up Alice. 

"I'll go grab the truck." Jug said grabbing his bike keys and starting the journey back to the parked bikes. "We don't have time, I'll ride home with her." FP said. 

"Are you sure thats safe Mr. Jones?" Betty asked. 

"We don't have a choice, and its safer than her freezing." He said starting the walk back to the bikes. 

Alice shivered all the way to the bikes and FP couldn't stop crying. All FP wanted to do was keep her safe, and he felt like he failed himself. He felt so defeated when he saw her so broken. She just tried to kill herself after loosing their baby. It wasn't even her fault. 

FP cradled Alice in her arms and hopped on his bike. He balanced her so her head was in his elbow crease and her legs were over his other arm. Betty and Jug followed close behind. 

When they arrived back at the trailer FP picked her up and carried her into the living room, laying her down on the couch. The couch was much more comfortable than the twenty year old mattress. 

She fell asleep within seconds of touching the couch. "Dad-" Jug said walking into the kitchen. "Shhhh," FP said putting his finger to his mouth than pointing over at the sleeping Alice. 

"Oh, okay." Jug said taking a seat at the table and placing his head in his hands. None of them could process what just happened. FP went into his room and changed out of his sopping wet clothing. 

He pulled an old flannel out from his drawer and brought it over to Alice. "Here Ali, this will keep you warm." He said as he helped her thread her arms into the shirt. She didn't reply just nodded and curled herself back into a ball on the couch. 

"I can't believe what just happened." Betty said in a hushed tone but still crying. 

"I promise it will be okay Betty. I am going to do everything I can to make sure that never ever happens again." FP said clearly beating himself up and shedding a few tears. 

"I'm gonna get Ms. Smith some more blankets." Jug said heading into the bedroom and grabbing the pillow that Alice had sobbed into as well as the down sheet. 

"Thank you so much Mr. Jones." Betty said and he opened his arms, she immediately leaned in and he hugged her tight. He knew what she had been through. He had witnessed his own father drink himself to death after being depressed from his mother leaving. 

"No problem, I'm just so glad she's okay, and please call me FP." He said rubbing her back the same way he would Alice. It calmed her down just like it would her mom.

Jug watched in awe from the hallway. He had hardly ever seen his dads soft side. It was refreshing, though the circumstances sucked. He walked past them and placed the pillow under Alice's head and draped the comforter over her. 

Jug walked back to his dad who was still hugging Betty, but it appeared that Betty had fallen asleep on him. Jug chuckled at the sight. She was completely worn out after today, which is understandable. 

"I got her dad." He said moving Bettys head off his shoulder and onto his. He picked her up gently and brought her to the other couch across from her mom. 

FP and Jug stood back and looked at the two girls sleeping. "Its nice to see them peaceful, and calm." Jug said and FP just broke down sobbing. 

"Dad... I'm sorry." Jug said pulling his dad into a hug. "I should have been there for her, I can't believe she tried to kill herself again." FP said breaking down in his sons arms.