The Trial

After about an hour of FP trying to get Alice to talk, he gave up. She refused to talk about Penny, or even say her name. He let it go and curled up next to her. If she refused to talk, the least he could do was comfort her physically.

FP fell asleep quickly, but Alice was up wandering her own thoughts. She couldn't believe her own sister was pregnant and with Hiram's baby. What if it's wasn't Hiram's baby, maybe it was Sheriff Maneta's?

Alice tried not to think about it anymore, but the new thoughts came rushing. Maybe this was Alice's chance to talk to her again, it's been years since either of them discussed anything. She did miss her, but she felt guilty for feeling this way. Penny did some awful things to FP, and Jug.

Alice could never forgive her, but a part of her wanted to. After all it was Alice who left the gang life and bashed them for years. She felt guilty for abandoning her little sister when she was young.

After Alice met Hal, she left the Serpents for good. Penny was only 16, she tried to follow Alice out of the hell hole, but she had to many ties.

Alice tried to help her out but Hal blocked her from any contact with the south side. Then there was a war against some other gang from across the border. Penny was shot and was hospitalized. Alice snuck out of her and Hal's house every night to see her. After Alice was caught once, it resulted in a abuse. She never visited or spoke to her sister again, afraid that she would end up hit. She feels bad she never tried once more to see her sister, maybe she wouldn't have ended up being so evil, maybe all she needed was a little love.

-10:00am Monday morning-

"Kids you ready?" FP called from the bottom of the stairs. "Coming!" Jug and Betty yelled. Jellybean came running down the stairs with a barbie in hand.

"Grab a quick snack, and use the bathroom before we go. Okay Jells?"

"Yes Daddy." She handed him her barbie, and did as she was told.

"Alice," FP sighed coming into the kitchen, where she had been stirring her tea for minutes; just staring into it. She didn't look up and continued stirring. "Alice, please say something." He begged.

"FP," She groaned, and looked up at him. She had tears streaming down her face and was trying her best not to whimper. "Oh Alice," He quickly went over and wrapped his arms around her. She fell into his chest and cried silently.

"Mom?" Betty called finally coming down the stairs. "Yeah, I'm in here." Alice said, wiping her face trying to hide her tears. "Everything okay?" Jug asked, from behind her.

"She's fine, just overtired." FP said. "Okay." Betty and Jug both sighed unconvinced. They could tell it was more than that, but neither of them wanted pry and make it worse.

"Jells! You ready?" Jug called and she came running, "I'm ready!"

Charles had picked up a few extra shifts at the diner, and couldn't make it to the trial. He offered to go, but Alice didn't want him there. It made sense, since the possibility of Hal exposing that they covered up a murder was high.

-•-

They all sat together, two rows back and waited for the trial to start. The judge and lawyers presented the case. Hal was brought out in chains, wearing all orange. "I've always wanted to see him like this." FP whispered to Alice, who let out a small nervous laugh.

Just as the judge was about to say something the court room doors flew open. "I'm here! Sorry I'm late." Gladys cackled. She walked down to the front row and eyed FP and Alice the whole time.