Playing My Cards

Alice practically dragged FP into the cafeteria. Charles and Hog Eye quickly followed behind. "Mom?" Betty said shocked to see her mom so soon, she ran over to her as quickly as she could. 

"Thats my name." Alice said. "You're home!" She said starting to cry.

"Betty what's wrong, I thought Jug was okay?" Alice said stroking her hair. "He's fine, I was just so scared, and tired, and overwhelmed." She said starting to sob. 

"Oh Betty," Alice pulled her daughter into a hug. "I'm so sorry." After a few minutes of hugging Betty looked up from her mothers shoulder and saw a tall blonde man standing next to FP. "Mom, who is he?" Betty whispered in her mothers ear. 

"Oh uh, can you give me a minute?" Alice whispered back. 

"Yeah, uh sure." Betty walked back over to the ten year olds, looking back at the man. She thought he looked familiar but couldn't place her finger on it. 

As Betty walked away Alice went back to FP and Charles. "Okay, so thats Betty," Alice pointed to Betty. "and Jellybean," She pointed to Jelly, "and thats Sophia, Hog Eyes granddaughter."

"So, do I just go and say 'Hi?" He asked starting to become nervous and playing with the collar on his shirt, just like FP does. "Once Jug is awake we will introduce you to them." 

"One heck of a family you got yourself here." Hog Eye chuckled. After a few minutes of sitting around waiting a doctor finally came out. 

"Is there a Alice Cooper here?" He called. "It's Smith now." FP said disgusted with the Cooper name. "Thats me." Alice said standing up. 

"You are listed as Forsythe Pendleton's emergency contact," 

"Seriously?" Alice said shocked. "Yes ma'am, and he is awake and asking for you." 

"He's asking for me?" She asked to make sure she heard the doctor correctly. "Yes, would you follow me, please." The doctor said. "Oh okay." She said and looked back at FP. He looked at her confused and she just shrugged her shoulders. Why would Jug want to talk to her and not his dad?

-

"Hey Jug," Alice said quietly taking a step into his room. "Hey Ms. Smith." He hardly scratched out. His throat was still sore from the procedure. 

"If it hurts to talk, we can talk later." She offered. "No, its important." He assured. "Oh okay," 

"Betty is," Jug began but started couching. "Okay, okay Jug. No more talking." She started rubbing his back in circles. 

"Tha-" "No talking Jug!" She said sternly. He nodded his head and laid back down. 

"Hey Jug." Betty said coming into the room. He looked at Alice as if to ask if he could talk and she shook her head no. "Mom?" 

"He can't talk right now." 

"Oh okay, who is that guy out there?" Betty asked. 

"What guy?" Jug said. "Forsythe Pendleton Jones don't make me duct tape your mouth shut." Alice said eyeing him down. He nodded his head, now a little scared of her. 

"Mom, who is that guy?" Betty asked again. 

"I'll go get FP." Alice said quickly walking out of the room. "Mom, please tell me!" Betty called down the hall but her Alice pretended not to hear. 

She walked back into the cafeteria to see FP and Hog Eye asleep like old men in the chairs. She scanned the room beginning to panic as she didn't see Charles anywhere.