Chapter 1

They'll hate me, like everyone else does. They'll give me up in a week like the others. They'll put me to work and when I fall they'll yell at me.

I paced around my room, thinking about all of the possibilities of the new foster family coming today.

I've been given to 14 families and I've been "returned" by 14 families.

The last family I thought really loved me until one day they said for me to get in the car and drove me back to this living hell, stupid motherfuckers.

I'm Brair, a normal 17 year old foster girl. I like to say I'm a temporary girl though. I'm never in the same place for a week so I'm temporary to those families. You know how most foster children find their perfect family? Well that fantasy isn't my life.

"Briar, the new family will be here in 10 minutes. Get your shit together." The owner of the adoption shelter, Lauren, said.

Yes, she swears at me because I'm the oldest foster child here and I'm still here after 7 or so years. She's been getting sick of me hanging around this place like its a hotel.

"Get your shit together." I mumbled, mocking her high voice.

I pulled my suitcase out from under me bed and threw my few outfits in it along with my other belongings.

"You're leaving again?" Another foster kid, Gracie, said.

She's my favorite out of all of them. She's a little 7 year old girl.

"Don't worry, I'll be back in a couple days." I said, squatting down to her height.

"I'll miss you." She grabbed me into a hug.

"I'll miss you too." I said.

I stood back up and zipped up my bag. I headed down the stairs, dragging my bag behind me.

"Finally, you're done! Your new family will be here in a few minutes, stay here." Lauren walked into her office.

I stood there like a complete idiot, staring at the door, waiting for the doorbell to ring.

Soon it did and Lauren came rushing into the room. She straightened herself up and opened the door with a fake smile on her face.

"You must be the Lawley's!" She said cheerfully.

"Yes we are." The woman said.

"Wonderful! This is Brair, Briar this is your new family." Her fake smile obvious.

"Hi." I said shyly.

There was a mom, a dad, a son that looked around my age, and a baby girl.

"We will all miss you around here." Lauren gave me a hug.

"Keep your shit together." She whispered into my ear, making sure only I could hear her.

We broke apart and I headed out the door with my temporary family.

Wonder where I'll be next week?