Chapter Five.

October 22nd, Monday

Chapter Five.
**************

"...I will use this book as my emotional outlet. A journal per say, noting and describing my days here we travel to our freedom..."

**************

I jolted awake. My whole body launching itself forward until I was sat upon the bed with a dry mouth, a sweating body, and horrid memories of the dream I'd just conjured up in my own mind.

I tried to focus on other things. Ignoring the vivid images of the dream I'd just had. They way each of my family members looked as they had been viciously turned into a zombie...

I couldn't dare think like that. Not now. Not when we were getting closer to rescuing them.

I pushed the thin sheet off my body, the duvet having fallen to the floor during my sleep, sitting on the edge of my bed as I caught my breath. I reached over and grabbed my bottle of water, sipping on it. When I was done with the water, but before I could place it back onto the nightstand, I heard the loud snores from someone in another room. Cursing myself for having left the bedroom door open, in case of emergencies, I had told myself.

We'd spent two hours today-last night-yesterday? Whenever it was, sitting in the living room speaking about our next moves as Brad and Jack finally joined us.

Jack explained their plan to have us drive to Wolfpine next. Normally, it would have been a six-hour drive but given the circumstances and less traffic on the roads we were confident that we could make it there in five. We collectively agreed that we wanted to get to this RSHS place as fast as possible, yet without tiring everyone in the process. We needed all the energy we could get if we were going to make it out of here.

The guys were more hopeful than I.

The topic of supplies seemed to be on our minds. Jack making a valid point in that we needed to make everything count. We needed to make sure we have enough ammunition, food, and water to last us for as long as we needed them. One thing none of us wanted to do was to be in the middle of a battle with a zombie and run out of energy or ammunition to fight with.

All the information we talked about during those few hours, were relayed back to Landon as he covered the first six hours of night watch. Jack was on the next shift after having only three hours sleep. The two of them shared Jack's watch to tell the time for each watch. I tried to explain to all of them that I was willing to do a shift and help with watch, but my comment was shrugged off.

I couldn't tell if it was because they didn't trust me or if they thought that when it came down to the wire that I'd hesitate to kill. Either way, they refused. Refused to let me help in that department. So, I made a mental note to do something to help make up for it.