Chapter Ten.

October 28th, Sunday

Chapter Ten.
**************

"...How could anyone have the audacity to treat another human as though they are the dirt beneath their shoes? Especially on a day like today, in this kind of world where helping others may just be what keeps you alive..."

**************

"Sydney! It's snowing outside look! Wake up, wake up!" I slowly regained consciousness as I felt my body slowly being shaken awake.

Small hands were moving my shoulders side to side but stopped after a few seconds. Only to find those little hands and fingers were now trying to pry my right eye open.

When my eye did open, I could see two little brown eyes staring into my own, slanted at an angle.

Nevaeh?

"Nev! Let her sleep!" I heard Marie groan from a little further away.

My eye fell back closed as she let go of my eyelid. I moved a little and let out a little groan as Nevaeh's presence left my side.

Both my eyes fluttered open, lifting my head in time to see Marie pulling away Nevaeh by her hand. She shook her head and spoke softly as she dragged the small girl away from me and around one of the shelves, out of my line of sight.

I fell back on my pillow, turning from my side onto my stomach, snuggling my face into the pillow as I closed my eyes again.

I guess it's time to get up. And Nevaeh said it's snowing, I'm in.

I sat up, a little too fast as I felt a little woozy for a second before, I recouped. I stretched a little before I took a proper look around. No one else was in sight, they must be where Marie had dragged Nevaeh off too. This was good, it put the awkward conversation I was going to have to have with Reed and Brad on hold.

I could hear a little voice yelling with excitement from a fair distance away, probably being outside by the loading docks.

I got myself ready for the day, disappearing into the empty bathroom as I did my business, brushed my hair and teeth, and got ready for the day. As my routine had become for the last three days. Our days were occupied with board games, reading, making fun of one another, arguing, and basically playing family.

Both Brad and I had spent this time well, ignoring one another. There was no more bed sharing or midnight rendezvous. We were basically back to how we were before when this had all started. Not friends. No words had been spoken about that night, not even from Reed. I didn't know how I felt about it all. I'd spent that whole next day running my mind over and over with everything we'd said and done. And yet, the cons outweighed the pros in the situation where Brad and I were to become more than friends.

The silence though, that hurt.

I tried to talk to him that next day, but he shrugged me off. I wondered then if I had dreamed the whole thing.