Chapter Twenty Three.

November 9th, Friday

Chapter Twenty Three.
****************

'...God forgive us. God save us all...'

****************

It wasn't until the sun had disappeared yesterday and we were left in the dark with nothing but each other and awkward patches of silence, did my family try apologizing for what had been done and said earlier that day. I say it in a loose term because let's be honest none of them actually wanted to apologize.

I'd spoken with Athena, Savannah, my mother and then my father, all alone without prying eyes or ears. The conversations I'd had with Athena and Savannah may as well have been said together, or even on a split screen considering they said almost said the exact same thing with the exact same facial expressions and tones.

"In our defense it did look like a bite mark... So, how does it feel knowing you almost got shot by your friends?" Was Athena's opening line.

"We really thought you'd been bitten... Lucky you weren't, because I really did not want to watch you have your brains blown out right in front of me." Was Savannah's opening line.

Whilst they were kind of apologizing (but not really) both my sisters of course jumped right into the next topic after I told them both I didn't want to talk about what happened, right into the topic of Brad. Considering everything that happened and the way he'd been protecting me ever since... They'd finally clued on.

"So, are you and the Bradley kid like dating or just hooking up?" Athena had asked.

"What's with you and Brady because I honestly thought you were a bit of a prude, and he seems like he'd go for... Well, someone that isn't." Savannah had said.

I knew she'd said his name incorrectly on purpose, but I didn't bother correcting her.

My sisters had proved once again that they weren't truly concerned about my physical and/or mental wellbeing. They had only tried to apologize so they could get the hot gossip on my love life.

The difference between my sisters and my brother was that he actually cared. His words and the hug he engulfed me in were all genuinely sincere. He apologized for not having stood up against everyone else, asked if I needed anything and left me feeling whole again after a three-minute hug. Or at least that's how long I thought it was, I had no perception of time at this point.

It took a few moments after Caleb stepped away before my mother approached. Granted, she's exited theroom to clean up the small cut on her forehead. I don't know what I was expecting to come from her mouth, but I definitely wasn't expecting her to scold me like a child.

"Why on earth would you have put yourself in a dangerous position like that?! You should have followed behind your sisters and I and left the men to do what they do best... Protect us. Save our lives." I bit my tongue and held back snarky replied as she rambled on and on.