Chapter Thirteen.

October 30th, Tuesday

Chapter Thirteen.
**************

'...One minute we're asleep, the next we're fighting for our lives and then the next we're stealing a yacht?...'

**************

I let out a small noise somewhere between a groan and a grunt, moving my hand shield my eyes from the sunlight that was now blinding me even though my eyes were still closed.

Why'd I forget to close the curtain? I never forget to close to curtain.

Wait, when did I even fall asleep? I must have been really tired last night because I can't remember falling asleep, or even what I was doing before that.

I let out a small yawn, stretching my arms a little before I tried stretching out my legs. However, the excruciating pain and the fact my legs would not move past the barrier they seemed to be pressed again was confusing to me.

I sat up as quickly as I could, only to close my eyes and take a few deep breaths as my head pounded and the world swirled around me. I opened my eyes, reaching up to touch the top of my head, only to feel a large lump and a scab on it. And my leg, it was propped up on backpack as my pant leg had been cut open and a bandage was now wrapped around my very, very sore knee. Why am I in the back of a car-

A series of flashbacks or memories hit me like a truck. The pounding in my head growing stronger.

Waking up. Bombing. Stairs. Knee. Ceiling. Head. Leaving. Bombing. Dead.

I felt the tears welling up in my eyes yet again, but I lent my head back and refused to let them fall. No more tears. No more panic attacks. I can't keep going like this. I need to be strong. If not for myself than for Nevaeh and Marie.

When I knew, the tears weren't going to fall, I opened my eyes and looked around the inside and outside of the car. I pushed back all thoughts from this morning (or so I hoped it had happened this morning and I hadn't slept for a day) and focused on the here and now.

Here being...

Somewhere. I don't know where we are, but I did know I was the only one in the car, but Brad was stood leaning against the hood of the car beside next to Landon... Who was smoking a cigarette?

Okay.

I held back the grunts and groans of protest my body tried making as I slowly and quietly climbed from the car. No one noticed the door opening or the sound my feet made when I stood on the ground until I had to shut the door with a little bit of force. I kept my right foot off the ground and lent against the car as the pain only intensified.

Oh boy, it's going to be hard to run with my leg being like this.

The sky was grey and overcast, the smell of water, damp soil and nature filling my nose. But it wasn't long until it was replaced by the scent of cigarette smoke, I cringed.