Chapter Twenty Four.

9th of November, Friday

Chapter Twenty Four.
*************

'...A party in the middle of an apocalypse? What could go wrong?...'

************

Jack was the one to spot the small picnic area just off the main road, beside the small lake. There was no question as to if we were going to stop, we needed to.

We collectively took our food and drink items from the cars, making a picnic lunch which we all sat (or stood) around and ate. Taking the time to stretch and replenish ourselves. Jack, Landon and Caleb discussed and pointed at things on their map, talking in hushed whispers as everyone else carried their own conversations.

My mother started gushing over Athena and how low the baby was sitting? I didn't know it was a thing but apparently the baby had dropped and now my mother was worried she was going to give birth early. Athena shrugged it off and reiterated that the baby wasn't due for another month, and she felt no different.

I overheard Savannah and Marie bonding over their shared love of the same vampire show male lead character? I don't know, and I don't particularly care. My dad joked around with the other guys as Nevaeh, and I sat being the silent ones of the group. I didn't mind though. It was nice being able to listen to them, watching them all get along despite earlier arguments and actions that had taken place between us all.

None of them dared to mention anything from earlier, not that we had much to say. We'd all seen the same thing and drawn our own conclusions. An apocalypse can drive you to do some crazy and absurd stuff.

Caleb approached me some moments later, offering me his hand which I took without questions. We walked arm in arm, whilst being armed, around the edge of the lake as we had a talk one on one.

His concern for my mental health and wellbeing after seeing what we'd witnessed today was sweet, but the more questions he asked the less I wanted to answer. I couldn't talk about it; I didn't even want to think about it. Purely for the fact there were no answers.

When I explained that I was okay, a little shaken but otherwise fine, he moved the topic of conversation onto that of his conspiracy theory about Maire, Calvin, and Jack. He wholeheartedly he believed that Marie was dating both of them, his reasoning being that they always seemed to sneak off at suspicious timing.

He wasn't half wrong, but I didn't want to give up any information or feed into it. Instead, I tried to play it off and inadvertently made him believe he was going crazy. If he picked up on the situation, then who else will? This is going to end in a disaster, I can see it from a mile away.

It was only a few minutes later when Caleb tripped over a rock embedded in the ground and I almost rolled my ankle trying to catch him. We decided to go back to the group, not wanting anymore injuries to take place, laughing at one another like we didn't have a care in the world.