Orchid: The Color for Loneliness

.                        .                         .

It was November thirty first. The day that all the kids get picked up by their families, butlers, maids, and family friends for the Holidays. Even the Inhuman kids get to go home, well, except for me. I was, surprisingly, the only orphan in the school. I still packed a bag because I held hope that my family was looking for me!

We were all in the lobby. Everyone was commercing and wishing each other happy holidays. I mean, I was doing it too, but it wasn't like I knew what the holidays were actually like. Leslie often talked about Christmas and all the gifts she gets, but Jazzy said that wasn't what Christmas was about. She tried describing it, but I didn't get it. 

Anna told me about Hanukkah, but I didn't get that either. Even at Social Services, I didn't get any of it. 

My friends and I sat on a couple of chairs and couches. I was cuddled up next to Troy. I still wasn't sure how I felt about Troy. I sure did like him, but I wasn't sure if it was like love. I just felt comfortable with him. Like how I felt comfortable with Doc. 

They were all talking about how excited they were and especially Leslie. Leslie had this bright (metaphorical) glow surrounding her. She was passionate about it and it made her so happy just talking about it. Then we heard, "Leslie Bridges to the front door. Your mother is here." Leslie swiftly stood up and kissed Jazzy on the cheek before waving goodbye and leaving with her bags behind her. 

We saw her walk up to the front door to walk through the scanner. Inhumans had to walk through this scanner to deactivate their Stark bands so that they could fully enjoy the holidays. 

Leslie had a peculiar gift. She could read minds, but that wasn't why it was odd. It was odd because Jazzy could share thoughts! 

The day went by slowly. Soon enough, it was just me and Peter. We were chatting on the chairs, just buds being buds when I heard the call that was gonna inevitably come. 

"Peter Parker to the front. Your Aunt May is waiting for you," the robot said. It was Jarvis. I hated him. 

"Seems like I've got to go," he said rubbing his neck, "I'll see you after the holidays." I nodded. He got up, grabbed his bags, and left. I was alone. Complete and utterly alone. 

"Hey, Monday?" I spoke into the Stark band, "Is Doctor Banner still here?" Because I was an orphan, I didn't have anywhere to go. The Social Services didn't want me for fear I would brainwash the other kids. 

"No, Everest. He told me to tell you that he left for the holidays to spend time with Ms. Romanoff," it responded. 

"So... who is here?" I asked. 

"Me," I heard a voice behind me. I looked behind me. It was Mr. Stark! My eyes went wide with fear. "All the other teachers and workers have family they want to spend their time with, so I said I'd do it."  He took a swish of the clear glass bottle he held in his hand. I couldn't read what it said because, you know, I can't read. (Hint: it was Vodka.) 

I stared up at him. Then at his ring finger. His red string didn't go anywhere. It was cut off. I had never seen that before. Does that mean that his soulmate died? I decided to make light conversation. I don't know why I decided to do it, I just did. 

"What are you drinking?" I ask. He held up the front of the bottle. Does he know I can't read? "Sorry, you're going to have to vocally tell me." He groaned. He took another swish of the drink and left the lobby, leaving me and my stuff. "Hey, Monday. Can you tell me whenever somebody who isn't Mr. Stark enters the lobby?" I asked the a.i. 

"Yes, Everest," it said back. I picked up my bags and walked to my dorm. 

I tossed my bags on the floor and tossed my body onto the bed. My skin shined a bright orchid color. Another shade I had never seen before. It felt sad and lonely. A longing. My Stark band shocked me, but once again, it didn't stop it. My glowing wings made of fireflies appeared once again. 

"Imagine her," they whispered in my ears. 

"Who?" I asked. 

"The Queen," they answered.