Epilogue

Epilogue

11 months later

I stood up from the bed emotionlessly and slipped on a pair of flippers. My feet carried me to the bathroom where I did my business and brushed my overgrown hair after. Pushing my hair to the side, I let it hang from my shoulder and turned to look at the calendar. A single tear fell from my eye as I realized what day it was. Written in bold letters was 'Thanksgiving' and below it 'Our pups first birthday!'

My head turned to face the bed where Cooper had slept last night. I remembered hearing him get up earlier than usual and took Clayton and Rylan with him. It was hard to believe he would leave me on this day, but he obviously knew I wanted to be alone. He'd be back when I'm asleep and leave before I'm awake.

That's how we'd been living ever since the night Penelope was taken away from us. I hadn't spoken or uttered even a word to anyone. I felt empty inside. Cooper and I hadn't even mated, and when my heat came, he had himself locked away. I knew how badly his wolf wanted us, but I just couldn't feel anything anymore. I felt nothing ever since that dreadful day.

We never got the chance to get married. The engagement ring was still on my ring finger, but nothing else had happened. Cooper and I didn't even kiss or hug anymore. He knew I was hurting, and I knew he was just trying to be strong for our sons' sake. I knew he didn't want either of them to grow up without a parent.

The cabin down south was once again unused like it had been when I fell pregnant. I didn't know if I'd ever use it. I'd considered giving the key back to Emilia, or maybe hand it over to Paige and her growing family.

Paige and Adam had a private wedding. I knew both wanted to have a big wedding, It felt like my heart had been ripped out of its chest.

Trixie gave birth to a girl about a month before Lucian's birthday. When she found out it was a girl, she tried telling me without making me burst into tears. It didn't work, and she wobbled away from me as fast as she could. A few months later Jacqueline was born. She looked a lot like Jeremy with Trixie's eyes.

I was inconsolable to everyone; even Sage couldn't make me feel a flicker of emotion filled with some kind of happiness.

Alyssa, the pregnant sixteen-year-old that had been surrounded by silver a year ago, had killed herself only a few days after the boy was born. The baby was brought back to Bermuda without a name. The pack there had crumbled, but someone came and managed to help it.

That, someone, was Jeremy. After his honeymoon with Trixie, they decided to buy a summer home there and visited every year. During the first time they went to visit, they recruited a lot of new pack members and eventually came across a baby. His name was Kory, and he officially became a pack member a few weeks ago although he remained living in Bermuda. He was Alyssa's child. They adopted him for a brief period, but could not take care of him due to their growing family. However, they did visit him every month in an orphanage.

I sat down at Cooper's desk and scanned the area. Slowly, I took a pen and paper and stared blankly at it. It was time to do this, for her, for my baby girl, Penelope.

My dearest Penelope,

It's hard to believe you would have been one year old today. My heart aches at just the thought of you.

My intention was never to leave you, and maybe someday, when you read this, you will forgive me for everything. When we find you, I hope Your father and I tried so hard to find you, but a witch was born to keep a balance between the supernatural world and the human one. She destroyed this family.

I think about you every day, every hour, and every minute. My heart breaks all over again when I see your empty crib close to where I sleep at night. I wonder if I'll be able to see you say your first word, take your first step, and lose your first tooth. It pains me to think, that, right now, you would've been able to pick your head up without needing support from me, or have crawled around just about every inch of this house.

Before I go to sleep, you are the only person on my mind. My broken heart cries and weeps, but my brain tells me I have to stay strong, for your brothers. You and your brothers represent the significant things in my life that I am proud of, or endeavor to achieve. Your older brother, Clayton represents clarity to remind me whenever I get stuck in a situation or confused and doesn't know what to in a certain moment of my life, all I have to do is understand what is more important to me: my aim and purpose, and redirect my focus with a clear mind. Your second oldest brother, Rylan, represents romance, to remind me that is more than stolen glances, sweet smiles, offering your coat when you see that your partner's cold, and a surprise dinner date in a frozen lake. It's that meaningful and pivotal force that propels you to bond with someone in a more significant, deeper way. And you ... my darling, you represent so many things. You mean peace, something I have always wished for in this world. You show power; women can be in control and stand head-on with the same confidence and strength as men. Finally, you represent hope

When you were taken from me, from us, you were only a month old. It was at that time when you learned to wrap your tiny hand around my finger and give it a powerful squeeze. During that time, you reacted instantly to my voice and face. Whenever you saw see me, you cried out in joy and kicked your feet up in the air. I laughed at you, and took your cute body in my arms, and held you close.

After the night you were taken away from me, I haven't spoken. My voice can never be found and it's like you took that from me that morning you were gone. I didn't sleep at all. It's like my body was waiting, waiting for my daughter to magically appear unharmed as if nothing happened.

I hope when I see you again, you will be absolutely beautiful. In all hopes, I wish to see you today, tomorrow, and the days after that until I die. I miss you, and I want to be near you. It's been almost a year since I held you close, and I feel empty just looking at the blank spot between Clayton and Rylan. You always slept in between them as if they were protecting you.

It's like they knew about the deal I had made and wanted to keep you. The stupid deal I had made in order to get pregnant. My darling, please understand that I was young, naïve, and a stupid girl when I made that deal. I was desperate to make my true and only love happy. My mind played tricks on me, and I let you slip away just like that.

I've heard your father talked about me to your grandmother, completely unaware my hearing is still working. He goes on about how I'm like a ghost, walking yet not responding to my surroundings. At one point, he had cried on his own mother, frustrated that he couldn't do anything to bring my old slightly-happy-self back. When he looked up to me watching him with no reaction, he just turned around and kept his strong grip on his mother.

Baby, my sweet darling, Penelope, I will always want you as my daughter. For the rest of my life, I will mourn you. I pray to the Moon Goddess that one day, I will see your bright smile again, this time with teeth maybe. I will always be your mother, ready to greet you at the front door if you ever manage to find us. I'll be your best friend and guardian. I am someone who loves you more than anyone else could.

I miss you, Penelope. Love you with all my heart.

-Mom