The Happytime Murders

Now this movie right here is the main reason I'm writing this novel in the first place. I love puppetry. I love fuzzy puppets, marionettes, animatronics, and I especially love The Muppets, including the Sesame Street Muppets. All of Jim Henson's Muppets are iconic, endearing, and timeless. And Kermit The Frog holds a special place in my heart just like Bugs Bunny. If I weren't a writer or a professional actor, I'd want to be a puppeteer and play one of the Muppets. I was surprised to find out that my role model the late Jim Henson [whom I share a birthdate with] had a son who does puppetry. And he directed several Muppet films that I loved as a child. When I found out that Brian Henson was going to be directing an adult-oriented movie, I was intrigued and interested in this movie. It was going to star the always funny Melissa McCarthy, and the puppets looked original and unique in their own way. The trailer looked raunchy and funny. I was pumped for The Happytime Murders. Now, when I see potential in a film, and it receives massive backlash from critics and audiences, thus damaging any potential success in the box office, I find it sad. Sad because, I really wanted that film to succeed. And I wanted Happytime Murders to be as successful as the other Muppet films. I actually thought the lawsuit from Children's Television Workshop would make people want to see the film even more. You know what they say, all publicity is good publicity. I did not expect the film to be lambasted by critics. I mean, a 21% rating on Rotten Tomatoes? That's a little harsh, isn't it? Fuck Rotten Tomatoes, by the way. But seeing the negative reviews only made me want to see that film even more. So I saw it. And I may have been one of the few audience members that actually liked the film. Okay, it's not Shakespeare, but I laughed all the way. The raunchy jokes made me laugh. The puppeteers did a good job. I was amazed by the digital and practical effects for the film. The puppets designed by Jim Henson's Creature Shop were clearly made with the same love and care that they always do when they're making their Muppets. And the actors clearly looked like they were having fun. I can't find any mean-spirited reason to hate The Happytime Murders, regardless of what the critics say. It may as well be, for a long time, the one film I like that everyone else HATES. And you know what? That's alright with me, and fuck those critics.