Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

WARNING!!! THE FOLLOWING CHAPTER YOU ARE ABOUT TO READ CONTAINS SPOILERS TO STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER! IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE FILM AND WANT TO AVOID SPOILERS, DO NOT READ THIS CHAPTER! I HAVE SPOKEN.

This meme I made myself honestly expresses my feelings towards all this right now. Well, it's certainly been a while since I posted a chapter on here. And as you can tell, I finally got to see the final Star Wars film. At least the final until Disney decides to do another sequel or spinoff. Anyway, Rise of Skywalker is the 9th installment in the Skywalker Saga, and the final story. Released on December 20th, 2019 by Lucasfilm and Disney and directed by JJ Abrams with a script co-written by him and Chris Terrio, the film is on the verge of grossing $1 billion, however the film has received mixed reviews from critics, who praised the cast performances, visual effects, action sequences and musical score but criticized the story, pacing, and perceived departures from the themes and story of The Last Jedi, with a 54% score on Rotten Tomatoes. Fans, as usual, have been crueler to the film. When a person says never read the comments, they're not kidding. I have seen an ugly side to the Star Wars fans that makes me think right when I think they've progressed, they do something even stupider.

CharaDemonChild and I on the other hand, loved the film. I'll never understand the mean-spirited hate towards this film and its predecessor. I guess everyone had unrealistic expectations after the backlash of Last Jedi. The backlash was so hard for Rian Johnson that in retaliation he created a character who was an Internet troll in his new mystery Whodunnit Knives Out. Now if that's not a middle finger to the haters, I don't know what it is. Anyway, how about I talk about what I liked about Rise of Skywalker. I really like how the film came full circle, and they managed to get a lot of the actors from the prequels and the cartoons to reprise their roles voicing Force ghosts of their characters. I always wanted to see Hayden Christensen return as Anakin Skywalker as a Force ghost, guiding the characters. And it was great to see Ian McDiarmid and Billy Dee Williams reprise their roles as The Emperor and Lando Calrissian respectively. Chris Terrio has actually confirmed that the Palpatine we saw in the movie turned out to be a ghost possessing a dead corpse, an interesting take on the character. And when Andy Serkis and James Earl Jones reprise their roles as Darth Vader and Snoke to say "I am every voice you have ever heard in your head," I became open to the idea that Supreme Leader Snoke could possibly have been a form that Palpatine took  in order to manipulate Kylo Ren. I was actually shocked to find out that Rey was his granddaughter! What were the odds of that? I never suspected it for one second! And I never thought it felt forced. I actually do like how in the end she embraced her role and adopted the Skywalker name. It shows that you don't have to be the character that your family expects you to be. You don't have to be a villain and turn to the dark side, just because of who you're related to. It's almost like, family isn't all about blood. It's also about bond. And I think the filmmakers did a great job inserting the late Carrie Fisher into the film using archive footage from several unused scenes. Given Fisher's tragic death in 2016, Princess Leia dying was sadly inevitable. And I think the filmmakers did an excellent job handling her death. I think it was very sweet that Leia sacrificed her life in order to save her son. And Ben's redemption never felt forced for a minute. It was so nice to see Harrison Ford play Han Solo again. The moment between him and Ben was the most tender and it shows that Ben really loved his father. And I really like how the seventh episode of the Mandalorian foreshadowed Force healing in the film. I can imagine that it was in the sacred texts, but when Darth Plagueis bastardized the way to use the Force to heal others while manipulating the midi-chlorians to create unnatural life, that's when the Jedi decided to make force healing a taboo subject. It almost makes logical sense. Now was that simply my imagination? Yes, but the 9th film opened up my imagination. Either way, I think The Rise of Skywalker was a satisfying conclusion that came full circle. But this will be me in every future Star Wars film.

 But this will be me in every future Star Wars film