Horror Movies My Dad and I like that everyone else hates: Carrie (2013)

It's that time of the year. Halloween season. During this fun and macabre time of the year, some of us have ways to celebrate and get ready, if you get my drift. Some of us like to sit on the couch and watch horror movies. Some are great, others not so much. There are those that are terrifying for all the right reasons, then there are those that are so un-scary, it's unintentionally hilarious! For every good horror movie, there's the bad one with clichés and tropes. Usually, we all have that one horror movie that's a guilty pleasure. I'm no exception. If I was, would I be writing this book? I didn't think so. So for this month, I'm going to talk about horror movies that I like that everyone else hates (or dislikes.) Hilariously, some of these horror movies are horror movies my dad likes too, so I can say these are horror movies my dad and I like that everyone else hates or dislikes. 

To start off this list, let's talk about Stephen King. He's considered the King of Horror! His stories are great, and have been popular enough to be adapted into movies, TV miniseries, etc. For every Shawshank Redemption, there's always a Dark Tower though. (I'm not mocking The Dark Tower book series, I know that's King's magnum opus, I'm dissing the godawful movie adaptation of 2017. WTF, Sony?) The first Stephen King horror story I ever read from start to finish was Carrie. I was a freshman when I first read this story, and I ended up feeling sympathy for the titular character. When Halloween came in 2013, and I found myself "too old" to wear costumes and go trick or treating, my dad and I decided to watch Carrie in theaters. Felt like good compensation for me. So we watched the film, and like most versions, I rooted for Carrie. Everyone else was a bunch of assholes to her, (everyone except Sue, Tommy, and Rita Desjardin, the gym teacher) and they got what was coming to them, including that bitch Chris. I was actually clapping when that bitch got killed at the end. I thought Chloe Grace Moretz was a good Carrie White, and Julianne Moore was a scary and complex Margaret White. Though, Julianne Moore's version of Margaret White wasn't as scary as say, her portrayal as Poppy Adams in Kingsman 2. Seriously, Poppy Adams was as ruthless as Moore's portrayal of President Coin, messed up in the head as Margaret White, and she did it with a jovial smile. This showed me that Julianne Moore was an actress with a diverse amount of range, and was good at more than just romantic comedies. [First Julianne Moore movie I ever watched was Crazy Stupid Love, no joke.] I was shocked to find out that critics didn't favor the remake the way my dad and I did. I think it was faithful enough to the source material, unlike say, Lawnmower Man, and did a good job at modernizing it, even if now it may be dated. I guess it's as Sylvester Stallone said, "The problem with remakes is that everyone else falls in love with the original. It's like peanut butter, once you try and change the taste of peanut butter, you're in trouble." True words, Sly. Anyway, It (2017) is better, I know, but all around, Carrie (2013) was a decent remake, and is certainly a horror film my dad and I like.