Van Helsing

And now we're back to talking about horror movies I like that everyone else hates this October. And the theme as always for this month, is horror films! Although technically, the following film I'm about to talk about isn't a horror film, but more of an action film with monster undertones. Though the funny thing is, my family also likes this film. Kinda. This film I'm talking about is, the 2004 release of Van Helsing starring Hugh Jackman! This film was allegedly Universal's first attempt at doing a monster Cinematic Universe long before they did the 2017 remake of The Mummy. It had the likes of Dracula, the Wolfman, and Frankenstein's Monster in the film. All directed by Stephen Sommers, who ironically directed the 1999 version of The Mummy. The film bombed at the box office, not meeting the studio's expectations, and received scathing reviews from critics. It had Hugh Jackman as the titular character, and back then, I would watch anything with Hugh Jackman. Remember, adolescent me didn't have the greatest of tastes in movies. I thought it was an enjoyable tribute to the Universal Monster films, the performances were decent, and I laughed at the jokes. I'll admit, the CG is very dated, but I enjoyed watching it, and you can't help but give the director a break since he dedicated the film to his late father. It's bittersweet in a way. I mean, I dedicated my first story (Wolverine Reborn) to my dad. My dad's alive though. Anyway, Van Helsing isn't THE worst thing to have ever disgraced the screen. It's an enjoyable guilty pleasure.