The Pagemaster

Well, let's get back to talking about movies that I like that everyone else hates. And I've got one you may not be familiar with. The Pagemaster! This live action/animated family film was released in 1994. It stars Macaulay Culkin, Christopher Lloyd, and the voices of Sir Patrick Stewart, Whoopi Goldberg, Frank Welker, and the late Leonard Nimoy, among other notable voice actors. Kind of a mini Star Trek reunion. The film was directed by Captain America director Joe Johnston and produced by David Kirschner, producer of An American Tail and the Chucky films. On a $27 million budget, the film didn't even make half of its budget at the box office, and received negative reviews from critics, earning a 17% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. But I guess it's developed somewhat of a cult following after airing on Cartoon Network, even being considered an underrated kid's flick. And I have to agree with them. After watching it, I can't find any mean-spirited reason to hate this film. The animation is nice to look at. Christopher Lloyd (who voices the titular Pagemaster) clearly looks like he's having fun. Patrick Stewart is unrecognizable as the voice of Adventure. The late Leonard Nimoy is an underrated Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. The jokes and wordplay were funny enough to make me laugh. I liked how they featured several iconic literary characters such as, like I mentioned, Jekyll & Hyde, Captain Ahab, Moby Dick, and Long John Silver. And the message in which children should be encouraged to go to a local library and read a book? I think that's a great message for children. All around inoffensive, harmless, and enjoyable, The Pagemaster is a family film I like that you ought to check out.