Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

And now we go to another "controversial" film with Mark Hamill. I'm of course talking about his famous role from a famous franchise, Luke Skywalker of Star Wars. Before I talk about the subject that will trigger tons of so-called "fans," a little history. On October 30th 2012, George Lucas made the decision to retire, and sell his company Lucasfilm Limited, and his franchises Star Wars and Indiana Jones to The Walt Disney Company for $4.05 billion. This meant new opportunities for Disney, and the Star Wars franchise has become as successful as Marvel. I'm still waiting for a Star Wars/Marvel crossover. With this deal, Disney decided to make new Star Wars movies. I was excited. And Disney started off with a bang when they released Episode VII, The Force Awakens. Some cynics accused the film of being too similar to A New Hope. And that newcomer Rey was a "Mary Sue." Anyway, expectations were high towards Episode VIII. And this was going to be a big deal due to the tragic death of Carrie Fisher. This would be the last time we'd ever see her as Princess Leia. People wanted answers such as, who are Rey's parents, is she related to one of the main characters, who is Snoke, is Han still alive, where are the Knights of Ren, and so on and so forth. I was excited for the film, and going into the theater would be a great way to escape the paranoia I was feeling towards my ex. Thankfully, she wasn't there to stalk me, or worse. December of 2017 was a dark and lonely time for me. Now, The Last Jedi is not on this list because it was critically panned. It was acclaimed by critics, and sits at a 91% on Rotten Tomatoes, and grossed over $1 billion! It's the audience reaction that earns a spot on this novel. I didn't realize how massive the backlash was until I was on YouTube and Facebook. So-called fans gave angry reactions towards every Star Wars post relating to Last Jedi, they complained about the plot and humor, compared new character Rose unfavorably to Jar Jar Binks, they sent death threats to her actress, (Kelly Marie Tran) Kathleen Kennedy, (the new Lucasfilm president) and writer/director Rian Johnson, and I saw the rudest comments. One I think I'll share. In a post about the late Carrie Fisher's dog Gary, one asshole named Joe made a tasteless joke about how he figured after seeing The Last Jedi, the dog probably hanged himself with his leash. That joke was horribly tasteless, offensive, and unfunny, and way too soon after Carrie's untimely death. Fuck you, Joe. Anyway, with this unnecessary backlash, I then realized how truly toxic the Star Wars fan community was. That community is as toxic as the DC Extended Universe fan community. And because of that, I ended up unliking and unfollowing the Star Wars Facebook page. Now I'm ashamed to call myself a Star Wars fan. I shouldn't be. I enjoyed The Last Jedi immensely. The visuals were great, the story was enjoyable, the cast was superb in their performances, Mark Hamill did such a great job playing a broken warrior/wise old man. And seeing Carrie Fisher as Leia for the last time was bittersweet. I miss her. I live by the words of Kylo Ren, "Let the past die, kill it if you have to." That quote, and Elton John's I'm Still Standing helped me get through my breakup. Fuck the haters, The Last Jedi is the best Star Wars film ever!