First Party of the Year

When I get to Jessica's house, I sit down on her bed while she digs in her closet.

“Come on, Erica, go with me to the party,” Jessica says pulling a pastel pink short sparkly dress out of her closet.

“Jess, I don’t feel like going,” I mumble while I look down at my phone.

“It’s about Brendon and facing everyone. Isn't it,” she says sitting down on her bed.

“Yes,” I shakily say.

“You can’t let that stop you from having fun,” she says sighing.

“Fine. I’ll go, but I’m not wearing that dress… it’s too pink,” I say.

“Oh God, your fashion taste will never get better,” she starts digging in her closet and pulls out a black long sleeve, shiny, short dress, “how about this,” she asks.

“I’ll wear that,” I say.

She hands me the dress, and I go into the bathroom and change. When I look in the mirror, I notice that the dress is a little above my fingertips, it’s tight fitting, and it’s too sparkly. I let out a huge sigh and pull the dress down to try and make it longer.

Then I walk out of the bathroom, and Jess says, “That looks amazing on you. Now all we have to do is do your hair and makeup. Now sit down.”

After One Hour...

I look in the mirror to see a stranger starring back at me.

“Wow,” I manage to say.

“You look hot. Now, we have to go, so we won’t be late,” she says grabbing her purse.

 I grab my glasses off of the dresser and follow her down to the car. Finally, after thirty minutes we arrive at Jack’s friend’s house.

As soon as we walk in the door, Luke walks up to us and slurs, “Hey guys… you both look smoking hot.”

“Thanks, but I can’t believe you’re already drunk,” I say.

“Hey, it’s the first huge party since school started back. Come dance with me, Jess,” he slurs wrapping his hand around her waist.

She looks back at me, and I nod. She hesitantly walks off with Jack. I walk through crowds of sweating drunk teenagers who are busy making out or dirty dancing. I finally reach the back door and walk out. Parties aren’t my kind of place. I lean on the railing of the porch.

“God, I wish I would’ve brought my phone,” I mumble under my breath.

“And why’s that,” Calvin asks walking up to stand beside me.

I turn around and notice that he has two drinks in his hands. He’s wearing his football jersey and faded blue jeans. I’ve never really liked him since he's Quinn's toy.

“Because I should’ve never came,” I say looking at him.

“Don’t you like my party,” he asks.

“They aren’t my favorite thing to do,” I say crossing my arms.

“They could be. Here do you want a drink,” he says extending his hand.

“No thanks. I don’t drink,” I say looking down at the ground.

“Fine. There’s coke in the refrigerator. I’ll go get it,” he says sitting down his drinks and walking back inside.

I turn around and look at the trees. Just then, Matt walks beside me.

“Hey Matt,” I say smiling.

“Hey Erica. I haven’t talked to you in a longgg time. How have you been,” he says.

“I know. We haven’t had classes together since we got in high school, and I'm doing fine,” I say pushing my glasses up.

“It’s okay. When did you get glasses,” he asks leaning back on the railing.

“Oh umm about a week ago,” I quietly say.

“Cool, so are you just going to stay out here until the party’s over,” he asks scratching his arm.

“Maybe. I like it out here instead of inside with a bunch of drunk sweaty people making out,” I say laughing.

“I know what you mean, but I’m here as my friend’s wingman. See you around,” he says.

“See ya,” I say as he walks away.

Just then, Calvin walks out with our drinks.