38

Neil was numb. His child. His child was dead. The child that was growing in his soulmates womb, had been taken away from him. From her. How could God do this? He felt the anger surging through him. He was angry at himself? He should have done something faster, he should have got to her faster. He hadn't just let Avni down, he let his child down. His ears turned deaf to the sound around him, as he felt himself stagger and land in the uncomfortable hospital chairs. He looked up at his family seeing a sense of pity loom in their eyes for him, his gaze returned to the doctor who was still talking, but he couldn't make out what she was saying. His heart was pounding loudly against his chest, so loud that, that was the only sound that was audible to him. His breaths became laboured as tears leaked down his already tears streaked face creating new paths and combinations with the sweat and blood that moulded into his features. He took a minute to stabilise his breaths before looking back at the doctor trying to focus on her words. "She should be waking up soon, so if someone wants to go and sit with her that you can, but for now just one person, we don't want to aggravate her to the point that she panics." The family nodded in understanding before looking towards Neil. Shweta walked up to her son, "Neil beta she needs you." Neil looked up at his mother before looking at his family before wiping at the loose tears that were streaming down in face before nodding, "You guys should go home though, if only one person is allowed to be in the room than there no point in all of us staying, just come back in the morning and we can arrange something from there." They all nodded in agreement as they said their goodbyes to Neil, Shweta stroked his cheek before saying "She'll be fine, our Avni is a fighter Neil, but she needs you to fight of her demons even if she fights against you, you need to be there, don't leave her alone." With a final tight smile Shweta left, consoling Neela who was looking distraught. 

Neil walked to the washroom, casting his gaze to the man who was staring back at him in the mirror. He couldn't even recognise himself, he touched his face his eyes closing as a stray tear strolled down his face. He opened his eyes turning on the tap, splashing the cool water on his face. the droplets of water mixing with his blood, sweat and tears, in a fiery dance, he scrubbed hard at his skin shedding the layers coated on his face. He turned the water off before drying his face and looking straight back at the mirror. He wordlessly left the restroom before he found himself standing outside her room. He peeked through the window as his eyes were greeted with the view of her, his desperate demeanour had been shed, but he felt the nervousness settle in as his hand began to shake as it reached for the door knob. He took a breath before entering the room. And there she was. looking as though the life within her had left her. Her ebony hair was sprawled out against the pillow, with a white sheet that covered her body. Her hands lay at her  sides un-moving, the only noise playing around in the room was the beeping of the machine. He stepped forth consuming her form, looking at her and noticing the detail he had missed, her forearm was bandaged, and her bottom lip was cut, he could see the swelling on her cheek and noticed a slim white bandage plastered across her head. She looked broken. She was broken. He tore his gaze away from her form as his eyes lined with tears, he looked back at her, his feet carrying him closer to her. He removed some hair away from her face before planting a kiss on her forehead, a tear landing on her cheek, he sat down on the chair that was placed by her bed, stroking and playing with her hair and entangling his finger through hers. "Avni..." He muttered, but the words died on his lips. He closed his eyes whispering as small "Sorry." he laid his head near her body as his eyes closed and welcomed the sleep that consumed him. 

An hour had gone by the two still in the same position. Avni felt a pressure on her hand, and moved to adjust herself. Her eyes were half closed as she forced herself to digest her surroundings. Neil felt a sudden movement and was awake in an instant. Dark brown and Hazel brown meeting each others gaze. "Avni." He hugged her as she fought against him pushing him with all her strength, "Avni?" He spoke in confusion. Her body went into a frenzy of panic as she forced herself up ripping the IV out. She staggered out of bed losing her balance and falling into Neil's waiting embrace, as he supported her weight trying to force her back down. "NO LEAVE ME, LET ME GO, DON'T TOUCH ME." She shoved Neil and began to head for the door, doctors and nurses rushed in as Neil tried to talk to her "Avni listen..A-....Avni listen its me." She fought against everyone making a break for the door, her hair flying around her shoulders as she sprinted down the hospital corridor. Neil shoved past the doctors and nurses who ran behind him, Neil dodged the people in the corridor mentally cursing out how fast Avni was. Just as she came into his view she fell to the floor letting out a bitter cry, she staggered up on her feet trying to get up as Neil pulled her pack to the floor pinning her gently to the floor, as his eyes begged for her to recognise him. She tried to wiggled free but Neil used his body weight against hers trying not to hurt her. "Avni listen...its me. its your Neil..i'm here." The doctor who was standing behind Neil signalled the nurse who injected sedatives into Avni. Her eyes closed becoming limp in Neil's hold, her long eyelashes coating her big doe like eyes. He glared at the nurse, getting of his wife before scooping her up bridal style and carrying her back to the room. He planted a kiss on her forehead and wiped at her stray tears as he parked himself back in the chair watching the nurses fuss over Avni.

Author's note:

Hey guys. I hope you enjoy this update. Let me know what you think in the comment section- i would love to hear your thoughts. just quick one to add, i start school tomorrow, for my final year and its a crucial time for me so updates won't be coming regularly unfortunately but like i said its an important year for me so please try and understand. Thank you to all of you for all your support and i love you all.