42

It had been three months, Avni and Neil working tirelessly to try and capture Dayawanti, and her alliances. They worked non-stop, taking every lead they could get their hands on, sometimes straining their relationship in the process, they wanted things to be over. To be done, so they could start the life they wanted to together. It was frustrating when their leads went cold. The aggression taken out on each other, but they worked through it. 

But something about tonight felt different. Lightning lit the skies in brilliant streaks. Fog embraced every tree, every square centimetre of of ground. Thunder declared itself as some rock star upon the stage. Sheets of rain revived the grass, resounding and rippling without frontier.Above, the houses on the hill survive in valley-echoed hail. Emerald eruptions of green envelope countryside in a carpet of living nature. Towers and trees - once boundless and bare - now flourish with vines, victorious as they claim their valley.Streams once sucked of their nourishing liquids are now bustle with aquatic activity. Ripples run freely, harbingers of joy. The river, slowly but surely, creates a new liberty, surging over the banks to create a space, carving and forming the new paradise. Avni and Neil stood hand in hand looking at what they hoped would be the place to end everything. They walked forth in a slow unforgiving pace, the tension felt by all as they approached the building. They had so much to lose. But they had everything to lose. Neil looked at Avni, her brows furrowed in concentration and determination. He squeezed her hand pulling her back into their world. "No unnecessary risks Avni. Please." The silent pleading however went over head, she was willing to do anything, to risk everything. She wanted justice and she would do anything to get to it, even if it cost her life in the process. She avoided his gaze... she couldn't look him in the eyes. She couldn't promise to be careful and the risk everything. He would feel betrayed. And she couldn't and wouldn't do that to him. He pulled her chin up to look in her eyes. "Please Avni." She drew in a shaky breath, abruptly breaking their eye contact, moving forward, picking up the pace, causing everyone to do the same. Within three minutes, they were in the house and had split up. Avni diverged from the group. She knew exactly where her beloved Grandmother, Her Chacha and Pua along with Kabulshan where hiding. She didn't mention it to the others, but this is where she was held after she had been kidnapped, even in her half state she knew the network, what surprised her was that Neil had not clocked on. They were here, but they were directly calling out to Avni and Avni alone. She walked down a flight of stairs leading to a lair. Four pairs of eyes trained on her. She stared back at them, her eyes blazing with an untamed fire. Out of nowhere six other people came at Avni, she tactically moved out of the way, grabbing one of them by the wrist snapping it back causing him to scream in agony. She moved forward, a powerful stride which was enough to shake the entire place. With Neil, he hit a wall... he believed they had been given another cold lead. He looked around surveying the scene, flashes coming back in his mind... he knew this place...but he didn't know how he knew this place. In a split second it all came back to him. He looked around realising that she was not there. He swore, dissing out order after order, but was cut of by a blood curdling scream. It was feminine. His back shivered. His eyes now blazing. His hands shaking. "Avni." He muttered. Before dashing off after the scream. Avni had almost killed six people, her hands bloody. But she was apprehended, by Kabulshan and Ketan, she tried fighting against them, as their hands connected with her skin. She screamed in pain. Dayawanti's laughs ringing out. She closed her eyes anticipating what would happen next. Within five minutes Neil was there, beating up Ketan and Kabulshan, "How dare you... touching my wife...i'll kill you." The men who accompanied them held him back as he turned to Avni. He helped her up, his eyes blazing, he was angry at her. She could see it. She watched at Dayawanti ran, seething she moved to run after her, only to be halted by the grip on her forearm. She looked at Neil ripping her arm out of him grip before sprinting after Dayawanti. Within seconds she caught up pushing her to the floor. She walked up ignoring the hurtful insults being hurled at her and her parents. She handcuffed her, pushing her towards the policemen, snidely saying "See you in court." Neil looked at her, bringing her closer, his arms wrapping around her  "I'm angry at you. Don't you dare do something like that again Avni." She smiled, snuggling into his warmth. "We won Avni." Before she could respond, she slumped against him. "Avni.... Avni.... " he called out desperately.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

She woke three hours later, her family surrounding her worried expressions plastered on their faces. She struggled to sit up, Neil rushing over helping her into a sitting position. She smiled at him, as the doctor entered, the family bombarding her with question after question. "Congratulations Ms Khanna, Your Pregnant." A minute of silence rung out, before they erupted into cheers. Avni and Neil smiled at each other, as he kissed her forehead, whispering into her ear "Thank you Avni." the family hugged them. Their life had been restored. 

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

"She's not human my lord. She's an animal. She killed Ayesha Haider, Ashish Mehta, shot an eight year old Avni Ayesha, and was hell bent on getting her killed." Avni stood addressing the court. The family watching from the side lines, tension filling their faces. "A Grandmother, is supposed to wise,.. supposed to help her children and their kids, but nothing else mattered other than money and Ashish Mehta," "NO THAT'S WRONG." "The court hasn't addressed you Ms Dayawanti Mehta, sit down and keep quiet until i ask you to speak." She turned back to the court "This was the contract she had drafted up to take over Mr Khanna's business, in prospect of marriage, and that was your first mistake Ms Mehta, you layed everything out for the prosecution to depict that you had a motive from the start. Your finances are wrong... a complete mess. Essentially there is nothing in your account. And so you thought you could take advantage of a wealthy family." She turned to look at her papers. "Your second mistake, was not realising that whilst my father was blinded by love for you, he knew exactly what you had done, in fact on March 7 2003 he confronted you about it, didn't he? And you killed him because he caught you. Isn't that right Ms Mehta?" "NO I would never hurt him, he was my Ashish." Avni laughed at her. "So how do you explain this then." In the background played a video of Ashish confronting Dayawanti, who then pushed him causing him to fall, and hit his head and die. The court gasped. As Dayawanti sat there in shock. "She blackmailed an eight year old my lord, using my little brother against me, she kept me locked in a store room, knowing i feared confinement and the dark, she made me an eight year old, kiss her feet and beg her. And here's the proof of that." Another video played. "Not only that, after i came back into her life, she had been involved in human trafficking...the police have provided you the case details my lord. And so now i want to go back to how this all started... when she killed Ayesha Haider, another video proof of CCTV footage that sees Ms Mehta entering the scene half an hour before her death...this is the footage from the room, an we can see a nurse. A statement written from the head nurse states that a uniform had been stolen...and Ms Mehta, the next mistake you made, was leaving the scene looking like this, you see your honour, despite the coat, you can still see the nurses uniform. When she shoot me, she did it in a secluded area, however i have all of the medical reports here." The defence was rendered speechless. This was a losing case so he remained quiet. The Judge asking for concluding statements. "Ms Mehta is harmful to society... she killed her son, her daughter-in-law, shot her granddaughter, put her in trafficking tried to sell me, kidnapped me, killed my unborn child, and is responsible for countless other deaths that will be explored further in Ketan and Dixa Mehta's trials. I therefore plead that Ms Dayawanti Mehta be sentenced to life, to ensure that she can't harm anyone else. That's all my lord." 

Half an hour later the jury reached its verdict. "I hereby find Ms Mehta guilty. I sentence you to life imprisonment." The tapping rang out. Avni closed her eyes in victory, her family congratulating each other as court was dismissed and Dayawanti was hauled away. Avni put all her notes away shaking hands with the defence barrister before leaving. She was attacked in bear hugs as they congratulated her on her professional and personal victory. The family walked off a few minutes later leaving Avni and Neil alone. He claimed her lips in a sense of desperation. His hands on her waist as he continued is administrations. Two minutes later they broke away. "We won." He whispered.

-Authors Note

Hey guys. Hope you enjoy this chapter. This basically the end. I'm gonna write an epilogue though. Let me know what you think in the comment section below, and don't forgot to vote. Lots of love, and best wishes.