Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

-

Luke watched Ashton and son from the corner of the kitchen where he leant against the worktop. Ashton was teaching the young boy how to make pizza dough, attempting to create a circle with the rolling pin.

The blonde was slightly jealous that it wasn't him helping his son make it. It should be, and he to some extent regretted not being a father who could have done this with him like his parents had done when he was younger. But, he could not even bring himself to look at the dough which in itself made him want to cry.

Ashton turned around and smiled over at the blonde, beckoning him to come over and enjoy the fun. Luke simply shook his head, opening his mouth wanting to interject and say something about how unhealthy pizza was but knew it would only cause an argument. "I think I'm going to lie down on the sofa," he muttered, quickly adding. "I've had a busy day at work."

The older man watched him leave, a small frown on his face. "Daddy's always tired, he slept all afternoon yesterday and I had to wake him up to put me to bed." Ashton smiled at Theo and handed him a bowl of finely grated cheese.

"He is very busy at the moment, sometimes work can be very difficult," Ashton responded suspecting there were other reasons as to why he was so tired all the time.

"Are you tired too?" Theo asked curiously, looking up at his teacher. "You work really hard too!"

Ashton chuckled, he knew he worked harder than Luke. Not only did he have the stress of around twenty young children to look after five days a week, alongside work to mark. But, he now had to assist Luke with feeding his son every morning and evening. "A little," Ashton agreed. "But, Daddy has a lot going on right now."

"Like what?" Theo asked, sprinkling the cheese over the awkwardly shaped base and over the counter.

The teacher remained quiet for a while, not knowing what to say to the boy. Theo wasn't his son and was not entitled to tell him anything that Luke did not want him to know. "Why don't you go and see Daddy now whilst I put this in the oven to cook, and clean up the mess you made?"

Hopping down from the stall, Theo did just that. He ran into the living room to see his father curled up into a ball on his side. "Daddy?" Theo questioned, leaning in close to his fathers face. Luke opened his eyes slowly and slightly jumped at his sons face being so close. Smiling peacefully he hummed a yes, gradually rolling onto his back and opened his arms wide for Theo to join him. "Why are you sleepy?"

Luke wrapped one arm around his son and let the other rest on his stomach. "Sometimes people don't sleep very well and then it catches up with them."

Theo furrowed his eyebrows. "Why can't you sleep, it's not hard?"

Luke chuckled lightly. "Being a child Theo is blissful, being an adult not so much. As you grow older you will understand more."

Theo lay there quietly for a few minutes, Luke letting his hand rise and fall with his son's chest. It was peaceful and reassuring to know that it was healthy again and he could feel his skin gradually becoming thicker which worried him slightly but he was too concerned with himself at current. The consistent breathing and beating of his son's heart were enough to send Luke into a sleeping state. Theo slowly turned his head to face his father and poked his arm in annoyance that he had fallen asleep again, wanting to ask him another question.

"Dad?" he questioned, scrambling up and poking his arm again with a little more force. Poking him for the third time he climbed to his feet and jumped on his father in hopes to wake him. "Mr Irwin?" Theo called loudly.

Laughing from the kitchen, his teacher reminded him. "You can call me Ashton when we are not in school Theo!"

"Ashton!" he yelled again with an increasing pitch.

Drying his hands from where he was washing a chopping board, Ashton entered the living room snorting out the scene. "What are you doing to your poor father, he's tired, Theo."

"He won't wake up! I wanted to ask him more questions!" Theo stated, sliding off of his father.

"I'm sure he is just in a deep sleep."

"But I jumped on him. Oh no, what if daddy is dead?" Theo's body then began to shake at the thought. Rushing over, Ashton stood behind the small boy, both hands on his shoulders.

"He's not dead silly, look you can see his chest is moving. His heart is still beating. Do you want to wake him for you?" the older man asked. He'd rather let Luke have his well-needed rest but it would keep Theo happy then it was probably best.

"Please," Theo insisted, hugging his body tightly as he looked at his father. His face pale and his body frail, Ashton shook Luke gently. When he did not stir he tried it again, but there was no movement from the blonde.

"Theo," Ashton said quietly. "Let's go check on the pizza shall we." Theo nodded, looking a little confused as to why his father did not awaken. Ashton guided the small boy into the kitchen, and after he was sat at the table happily nibbling at the pizza he pulled out his phone.

-

Please comment what you think.

Thank you so much for reading.