Imagine for Marlaina

*Possibly Triggering*

"So tell me, again, why can't you swim?" Your boyfriend, Michael asks from the pools edge, as you look up from the magazine you were reading.

"Because, I'm on my period," you lie, "and I hate tampons." The truth though was because you were embarrassed of the self inflicted scars that covered your hips. No one knew of them, not even Michael, and you'd rather keep it that way.

"Oh," Michael mumbles, furrowing his eyebrows, "then I won't be much longer. I don't want you sitting in the heat fully clothed for too long."

"Okay," you sigh, continuing to flip through your magazine on the hotel's lounge chair. Within about ten minutes of doing such Michael approaches, soaking wet, reaching over you for his towel.

"Want to go up to the room and cool off, babe?" He offers, as you nod, smiling.

**

"Mar?" Michael asks, unlocking the room's door as you trail up behind him, "why'd you lie?"

"Lie about what?" You answer confused, stepping into the room before Michael.

"About being on your period," your heart stops, "you said that last week and I know those things don't last this long..." He mumbles.

"Oh, I-"

"Mar," he interrupts your stuttering, "what are you hiding. Tell me; don't lie."

"Michael, I- I... think it'd work better to show you," you sigh shakily, motioning for him to close the door and follow you into the next room.

"Show me what exactly?" He asks, stopping when you do.

"My scars."

"Your what?"

"My scars, Michael," you sigh again, gently pulling down your shorts past your hips, revealing the many white lines of your past.

"Oh my," Michael gasps, reaching out to touch them, "did you do this?"

"Yeah..." You mutter ashamed, "but I'm better now. These are my past. These are the reason I don't swim; they're disgusting. They make me feel disgusting."

"Oh, Mar," Michael sighs out again, pulling you into his arms, "you're not disgusting. You're gorgeous with or without these."

And in response all you can do is nod into his chest. Happy the secret that had been eating you away for so long was finally off your chest.