Chapter 19- Essence of What?

Needed a reason to go off, I think I found one.

Hermione woke up in a bad mood the next morning. She brushed Crookshanks off her, and proceeded to get out of sleep mode and go to the bathroom. None of the girls were up in the dorm, as usual. She was still furious at what she had heard last night, but she couldn't let that dwell on her mind anymore. She would just see how things played out. She'd go on like it was a regular day and yesterday never happened. She carried on with her regular morning routine, and headed down to breakfast once she was done.

Ron was already there, chowing down as usual. Luckily Harry was nowhere in sight. She didn't want to think of the scene she'd cause if he was...

"Morning Hermione!" Ron said, swallowing his mouthful of pancakes.

"Morning Ron." Hermione sighed. This day was going to be hard on her.

The two sat in silence, the chattering around them filling up the silence. Hermione sat with her book as Ron was chowing down, quite grotesquely she might add, in front of her. Harry was yet to be seen on the scene but it wouldn't be long before he would.

Ron pointed out a spot behind her as he was starting on his fifth pancake, she turned to see a small girl holding a piece of parchment in her hands. "Hermione Granger?" She asked timidly. "I was asked to give you this."

"Thank you." Hermione's heart sank as soon as she took a look at the small roll of parchment. It was an untidy scrawl, and there were giant blotches where the ink had ran.  

Dear Harry, Ron, and Hermione,

Aragog died last night. Harry and Ron, you met him, and you know how special he was. Hermione, I know you'd have liked him. It would mean a lot to me if you'd nip down for the burial later this evening. I'm planning on doing it round dusk. That was his favorite time of day. I know you're not supposed to be out that late, but you can use the cloak. Wouldn't ask, but I can't face it alone.

Hagrid

"Ron, look." She handed him the tear stained letter, Hagrid must have been crying while writing it. She felt terrible but after hearing of the giant spider, she didn't think she'd ever really have liked him. Ron read through the letter looking incredulous. "He's mental!" Ron stated furiously.

"Who's mental?" Hermione rolled her eyes at the voice. Harry had finally arrived.

"Hagrid! Here, read this." Ron handed the letter over to Harry. "That thing told it's mates to eat me and Harry and me! Told them to help themselves! And now Hagrid expects us to go down there and cry over it's horrible hairy body!"

"It's not just that, he's asking us to leave the castle at night and he knows security's a million times tighter and how much trouble we'd be in if we were caught." said Hermione.

"We've been down to see him by night before, and you seem to be more lenient with the rules these days." Said Harry with a look.

Hermione just wanted to slap him right where he sat. "Yes, you're right but that was wrong for us to do and you know that. And for something like this? We've risked a lot to help Hagrid out, but after all— Arogog's dead. If it were a question of saving him—"

"—I'd want to go even less," chimed in Ron. "You didn't meet him, Hermione. Believe me, being dead will have improved him a lot." Harry frowned at that. He looked down at the tear stained letter again...

"Harry, you can't be thinking of going, you have such bigger things to worry about." Even if Hermione wasn't in the best mood towards him, this was important. "Besides, you can try softening Slughorn in Potions this afternoon."