Chapter 4- Slughorn's Christmas Party

I do not own the Harry Potter series or anything in this chapter except the parts changed.

"For the last time," said Harry, speaking in a slightly hoarse whisper after three-quarters of an hour of silence, "I am not giving back this book, I've learned more from the Half-Blood Prince than Snape or Slughorn have taught me in —"

"I'm not talking about your stupid so-called Prince," said Hermione, giving his book a nasty look as though it had been rude to her. "I'm talking about earlier. I went into the girls' bathroom just before I came in here and there and there were about a dozen girls in there, including Romilda Vane, trying to decide how to slip you a love potion. They're all hoping they're going to get you to take them to Slughorn's party, and they all seem to have bought Fred and George's love potions, which I'm afraid to say probably work —"

"Why didn't you confiscate them?" It seemed extraordinary that Hermione's mania for upholding the rules could have abandoned her at this crucial juncture.

"They didn't have the potions with them in the bathroom," said Hermione scornfully. "They were just discussing tactics. As I doubt whether even the Half-Blood Prince" — she gave the book another nasty look — "could dream up an antidote for a dozen different love potions at once, I'd just invite someone to go with you, that'll stop all the others thinking they've still got a chance. It's tomorrow night, they're getting desperate."

"There isn't anyone I want to invite." mumbled Harry. Hermione's heart sunk for a moment but then she remembered there wasn't any reason Harry should want to invite her.

"Well, just be careful what you drink, because Romilda Vane looked like she meant business." Hermione said grimly.

She hitched up the long roll of parchment on which she was writing her Arithmancy essay and continued to scratch away with her quill. Harry watched her with his mind a long way away.

"Hang on a moment," he said slowly. "You haven't found a date yet, have you?" Hermione stiffened.

"No. Why do you ask?" asked Hermione, still concentrating on her essay.

"Well, I was thinking we should go together, as friends." Harry shrugged. "Unless you were thinking of inviting your secret crush?" He smirked.

"Oh be quiet." Hermione smiled, rolling her eyes. "To answer your question, yes that'd be lovely."

"Great! So I'll meet you in the common room at eight o'clock then."

~~~~~
Harry was waiting in the common room around eight the next day after dinner, in his dress robes. He looked into the fireplace while he waited for Hermione. He wasn't really excited for the party, knowing Slughorn would probably parade him around all the night, forcing him to speak with people he held no mind for. Harry supposed he was just glad he was going with Hermione instead of some giggly girl, trying to induce him.

"Harry?" Harry spun at the soft voice, coming from the staircase leading to the dormitories. There stood Hermione, looking enchantingly beautiful. Her hair fell in soft curls down to her shoulders, framing her face nicely. She wore a salmon colored dress that fell to her knees. Harry could tell she was wearing very light makeup. She looked beautiful, in his opinion. Harry smiled, taking in the sight.

"Harry? Are you ready?" Hermione peered at him strangely.

"Oh, yes!" He offered his arm to her and smirked. "After you, Ms. Granger." Hermione giggled lightly and led them through the portrait hole.

They walked in an amiable silence on the way to the party. Their arms stayed locked all the way down to Slughorn's office.

Before they reached the door, Hermione glanced over to see a stony expression upon Harry's face.

"You may want to plaster on a smile and go with it, if you want to be under Slughorn's good graces, Harry." Hermione chuckled.

"You can't be serious, Hermione. I came here to have a nice evening with my best friend." said Harry, reaching for the door handle.

"I know, Harry. I did too, but don't you think this is more important?" Harry knew she was correct in this instance but he didn't give in and reply to Hermione; they were already approaching Slughorn's office and the sounds of laughter, music, and loud conversation were growing louder with every step they took.

When they entered, Harry took note of how large the office was compared to the usual teacher study. The ceiling had been draped with emerald, crimson, and gold hangings, so that it looked as though they were inside a tent. The room was crowded and stuffy and bathed in red light cast by an ornate golden lamp dangling from the center of the ceiling in which real fairies were fluttering, each a brilliant speck of light.

"Harry, m'boy!" boomed Slughorn, almost as skin as Harry and Hermione had squeezed through the door. "Come in, come in, so many people I'd like you to meet!"

"I'm sorry, Professor, but I was under the impression I would be having fun tonight, not being paraded around to people I don't care about." Harry seized Hermione's hand and led her into the crowd of people dancing, away from Slughorn.

"That was very rude to say for someone trying to gain Slughorn's trust, Harry." Hermione said, reprovingly.

"Would you rather be over there talking to the vampire, then Hermione?" Harry started to spin Hermione around on the dance floor. She followed suit.

"Well, no. I think I'd rather dance with Cormac then that." she said with a distasteful look. Harry smirked.

"Speaking of him, do you know who he invited?"

Hermione scanned the party before her eyes fell on a spot in the corner. "Looks like he's come by himself." For some reason, that fact made Harry's stomach erupt in elation. Harry's surprise clouded that feeling, though. The bloke usually had girls lining up for him but it seemed that since Hermione blew him off, he was sulking so much he didn't even bother to ask anyone else.

As Harry spun Hermione, Harry saw something that calculated to raise his spirits even higher: Draco Malfoy being dragged by the ear toward Slughorn by Argus Filch.

"Professor Slughorn," wheezed Filch, his jowls aquiver and the maniacal light of mischief-detection in his bulging eyes, "I discovered this boy lurking in an upstairs corridor. He claims to have been invited to your party and to have been delayed in setting out. Did you issue him with an invitation?"

Malfoy pulled himself free of Filch's grip, looking furious. "All right, I wasn't invited!" he said angrily. "I was trying to gate-crash, happy?"

"I'll escort him out." said a cold voice.

There stood Malfoy and Snape, a very angry Filch and very confused Slughorn in the middle of Slughorn's office. The crowd that surrounded them were looking on with curiosity peaking from their expressions.

"Certainly, Professor."

Snape's eyes never once left Malfoy's pungent face, the two left, looking both paler then ever.

The chattering started again slowly but soon faded into the background as Harry stood staring at the spot where Malfoy and Snape had just left. One look towards Hermione, and the two were soon shooting down the corridor after them.

— —
Harry could not process what he had just heard, for suddenly he was pinned against the wall looking wide-eyed at Hermione. "I'm sorry," she whispered.

Next thing Harry knew was soft lips pressed against his, moving together in sync, Harry never wanted to let go. The thought came before he could stop it. It was the last coherent thought before his brain went foggy and his hands suddenly had a mind of their own. His hands gripped her hips, pulling her undeniably closer. In the back of his mind, Harry thought of the echoing footsteps getting clearer with each passing moment.

"Potter!" Harry was yanked away from Hermione, looking very red-lipped and pink in the face. "Just what exactly do you think you're up to?

"50 points from Gryffindor for you're unbecoming behavior. Back to your common room, or would you like your punishment doubled?" Snape sneered.

"No, sir!" Hermione said in a very shrilly tone before she pulled the still very confused Harry down the corridor.