Chapter 24- Together

"I want to Hermione..." His voice cracked. "I really do, but it'll just get in the way. I have to finish whatever Dumbledore started, but I'll let you and Ron know I'm alright when I can." Harry said, trying to be strong. The proposition was tempting, definitely, but Harry couldn't agree. Not now, at least.

"I've always admired your courage, Harry, but sometimes you can be really thick." Harry looked at Hermione and she stared back into those green orbs she loved. "You don't really think you could find all those Horcruxes by yourself, do you?" Harry looked away from Hermione, and she knew he was mad at her again for trying to put herself in danger for him, again.

"When are you going to get it into your head? We're in this together." She said firmly.

"Hermione, it's not safe. You should stay here with Ron and everyone else."

"How safe is it here Harry? You already heard they're thinking of shutting down the school." She argued.

"You and Ron could have lives without me! I only bring more danger into them." He sighed and put his head down.

"And how much danger are we going to be in, even without you here Harry? There's a war coming and we all need to find people to trust when it happens." Hermione shook her head. "Besides, Ron has Luna. If you left..." Harry looked towards her, knowing the things she couldn't bring herself to verbalize.

"Hermione... I couldn't live with myself if something happened to you, or Ron!"

"Something will happen if we're not together." She said sternly.

"He wants me, Hermione! If anything or anyone stands in his way of killing me, he'll have no mercy." Hermione shuddered at his words and Harry suddenly felt bad. He didn't just feel bad for his words, but also for what he had to put her through as of lately.

Her shaky voice brought Harry back to the point. "Either way, I'm in danger Harry. Would you rather me be in danger with you or by myself?"

"Hermione, we can't. I can't put you in anymore danger. I don't want you getting hurt." He looked at her sincerely.

"Relationship or not Harry, I'm going to be with you. Ron and I will. Always."

Harry stared into the depths of her golden eyes, feeling the sincerity of her words. He wanted to kiss her so badly in that moment, and it took all of him not to. He swallowed hard, although it didn't help the dryness of his throat. He fished out the locket from his pocket and dropped it into Hermione's hands.

"It's a fake. Open it."

She opened the cold locket and caught the small parchment that fell out, in her dainty fingers. Unfolding it, she read the message aloud. "To the Dark Lord: I know I will be dead long before you read this, but I want you to know that it was I who discovered your secret. I have stolen the real Horcrux and intend to destroy it as soon as I can. I face death in the hope that when you meet your match, you will be mortal once more.
-R.A.B"

She looked up to Harry with confusion in her eyes, her eyebrows furrowed. "R.A.B? Who's R.A.B?"

Harry shrugged. "Dunno. But whoever they are, they have the real Horcrux. Which means it was all a waste. All of it."

Hermione didn't say anything to that. They both silently turned to look across the grounds as the sun went down, casting shadows against the castle. The fluffy clouds gave a sense of comfort and Harry couldn't stop the calmness that washed over him.

"I never realized how beautiful this place was."

A soft cry against the wind traveled to them. It was beautiful and calming all together. The cry continued, getting more beautiful as it went on. It sounded like a soft lullaby of a bird. A Phoenix.

Fawkes.