Ceremony of Rites (2)

Akari looked at Dean's worried gaze for a moment before she turned away and walked inside of the cave. Akari walked slowly with her hand following the cave wall as her guide. When her eyes adjusted to the darkness, she realized that she walked a long way. When she looked back, there was no light that she could see. She was surrounded in darkness.

Akari didn't panic, instead she found a flat area to sit down on and began to cultivate. Whatever was going to happen would happen. She just needed to believe in herself.

At first she didn't feel anything. She could only cultivate and gather the magic around her, bringing every magic essence into her body and storing inside of her. Her body began to absorb the magic faster and faster. It was like a whirlwind of magic entering her body. And her body kept storing it inside of her. It was as if her body was an endless abyss.

While Akari was cultivating, she didn't feel hungry or have any bodily needs. She was in a total state of zen. Suddenly, she felt her soul escape her body as it floated into the air and pass through the magic whirlwind that was around her body. She watched herself gather endless magic essence that came from deep within the cave.

Akari's soul followed one of the magic streams as it lead her deeper and deeper into the cave. That magic stream took her down further into the ground and ended in a cavern where hot steam rose from the ground. The red lava flowed slowly as it bubbled with escaping air. Akari watched as magic escaped from the bubble and followed the magic stream that Akari created.

Satisfied with her answer, that she would become a Fire Mage, she followed the magic stream back to her body then followed the second magic stream. The second magic stream lead her to a large pool of water.

When Akari came back to her body, a third magic stream began to be absorbed by her body. Akari followed it and it brought her to a yellow stone. Akari came close the yellow stone and lightning flew out of it. Akari dodged to her right and rolled back onto her feet and took several steps back to the entrance of the cavern.

Happy with what she figured out. She made her way back into her body and when she tried to enter it. She couldn't. It was as if there was a barrier that blocked her soul and her body.

Akari began to panic. If she couldn't get back to her body, would she die without a soul?

Akari tried to force her way through the barrier, however each time she would be unsuccessful. After an hour of trying, she gave up. She needed to think of other ideas on how to get back into her body, since using her strength did not work.

Akari's soul sat behind her body, their backs were touching as Akari's soul began to cultivate as well. A sense of calm came over her and she began to feel as if she was one with herself again. She was able to feel every fiber of her being begin to change. Her body became hot like fire, breaking down everything. A cool sensation came over her as it rebuilt her body. She then felt an electric jolt from head to toe, refining her bones, her veins, and her muscles. Her whole body was broken down, rebuilt and refined.

When Akari opened her eyes, she could see through the darkness. From every detail of the cave, Akari looked around her, trying to see if what she sees is exactly what it is. The cave tunnels with the magic streams that lead her soul to the lava, lake, and yellow stone, were not there. Akari stood up saw that the cave was enclosed, with only one way in and one way out. Akari began to make her way out of the cave. When she saw the light at the end of the tunnel, her steps became excited and she began to walk faster. When she reached the entrance, Akari had to block the sun from her eyes for a moment before adjusting her eyes to the light. When her eyes met worried cyan eyes, she saw that Dean finally gave her a genuine smile.

"Of course, the apprentice I choose can only be this amazing." Dean said as he came up to her. His arms opened up and he hugged her tightly to his body. Akari's stiff body immediately relaxed as her arms came up to hug him as well. "You did good."

Akari could only nod her head in agreement. She was too consumed in his scent and his embrace. The feeling of being close to him made her heartbeat so fast that she was glad he couldn't hear it. Dean let her go and they made their way back to their home.

"How long was I in there for?" Akari asked.

Dean scratched the back of his head and laughed. "Five days."

Akari stopped in her tracks. Five days? Did she absorb five days worth of magic essence?! Dean stopped to look at her, but didn't ask her why she stopped.

"Those that stay longer inside are strong mages. Those that stay shorter are weaker." Dean told her.

"How long did you stay inside the cave for the Ceremony of Rite?"

"Four days." He told her. "As far as I know, you are the first in a long time to stay inside for five days."

"Oh." Akari said as she began to walk beside him. The pace became steady and equal as they made their way back. Side by side they walked as Akari enjoyed their time together. If it was up to her, she would want this walk to last a long time. Her eyes had been enhanced. She was able to see every fine detail around her. From the highest leaf on a tree, to the thinnest blade of grass. Every butterfly flutter was slow and graceful. Everything was new to her again. She found herself staring at a tree as the ants moved up and down it. How long she was there, she didn't know, however it caught her attention and she couldn't bare to look away.

"Interesting isn't it?" Dean said from behind her. He had leaned down to her ear and whispered into it, causing her body to snap out of her trance and shiver with excitement.

Akari nodded her head in agreement, scared that if she said something, it would give it away how nervous she was with him so close.

"Lets go."

Akari followed Dean until they walked side by side again. Her heart calmed down after a while and she knew. This walk alone, would be a memory she would cherish for the rest of her life.