Reveal

Rin entered his carriage in a foul mood. His parents kept asking him about Kiko and if he would be marrying her.

"It would have been nice if Kiko was by your side for Akari's wedding to Mage Koya." Riho said as she leaned on to Obara's shoulder. "You all went to the same academy and were in the same class. I believe Akari would have liked to see Kiko as well."

"Yes, it is a shame Kiko fell ill and couldn't attend." Obara said as he leaned his head against hers. "When we get back home, Rin, you should send some medicine to her so she could get better. When you guys get married, she wouldn't hold a grudge against you that you weren't being attentive enough."

Rin's tight lips frowned. He was already in a bad mood because Akari married against his wishes. Against their fate to be together. And his parents are now bringing up the woman who caused not only his death, but his parent's deaths as well. Hearing them prasie Kiko so much made his head hurt. Kiko had embedded herself so well within his family and he didn't even notice it.

"Mother, Father." Rin said seriously. "Kiko and Akari are not friends. They were never friends when we were at the academy. It was actually Kiko who bullied Akari when we were growing up."

"Really?" Riho said surprisingly. "How come you never told us? I would have never thought Kiko would do such a thing."

"I happened a long time ago. Plus, you know how Akari is. She doesn't care for others, so when she was bulled, she just ignored them."

"And you didn't do anything? We taught you better than that!" Obara said as he glared at Rin.

"I stood up for Akari and on several occasions I broke of contact with Kiko and the others who bullied her." Rin defended himself.

"And yet, you still let Kiko become your girlfriend?" Riho frowned. Her view of Kiko changed quickly with the knowledge of Kiko's past behavior. "Why did you invest so much of your time towards a evil woman as her?"

"Because I wanted to know why she kept targeting me." Rin finally told them the truth. "After the initial investigation that Father requested, I found some inconsistency with what we know and what she told me. I stayed with her so I could find out why she was targeting us and who is behind her that is planning our demise."

Obara and Riho looked at each other before looking at their son. Before their eyes, they realized just how much their son has grown up. They did not know how deeply Rin's thoughts ran. They just assumed he was a fine gentleman who grew up to their expectations. Who would have thought that he was always planning ahead to look after them.

"What have you found out?" Obara asked as he became serious. His eyes scrunched together as Rin told them his findings.

"Kiko and the Lehar family do not share the same blood. She is adopted into their family to target us." Rin told his parents. "Her mission is to learn everything about our family business, earn our trust so she can plant fake evidence against us that would cause the downfall of our family and our business."

"Who would be so powerful and forward thinking to set up such schemes? You were just a child when you met Kiko. Don't tell me she was planted to be in your life at such a young age?!" Obara asked as he felt chills down his back.

Rin opened the curtain and looked outside. They were traveling down the street towards their home, but the enemy who wanted their deaths lived in a pristine white castle and had the people revere them.

Obara looked at what his son's attention suddenly went to and his eyes opened wide in surprise. Never in his life did his long distant cousin would do such a thing against him. He grew up with the King. They were study partners and trained together. Even though one was royalty and the other was a noble, they never fought. Never argued. Never had ill intentions towards one another. He would have never guessed that the King would be so ruthless.

The whole carriage became quiet after Rin pulled the curtains closed again. He didn't need to speak on who was after them. His parents would have guessed without him telling them.

"When we get home, I'll show you what I have found out so far." Rin told his father.

"And Kiko?" Riho asked hesitantly.

"Captured and contained." Rin told them truthfully.

"And should the Lehar family come looking for her?"

"Pretend that we know nothing about it." Rin told them. "I broke up with her several days ago. I have not seen her since and have not been seen with her. All my movements in the past days have witnesses to my whereabouts. They cannot trap me and blame me with her disappearance."

Obara sighed heavily. His son had to shoulder so much weight without their knowledge and he felt guilty. It made him feel as if he couldn't protect his family. He is Rin's father and it should have been his responsibility to protect his son and his wife. And not have his son protect him and Riho.

Obara stilled his heart as he calmed his thoughts. Now was not the time for him to feel guilty and inadequate. All he could do now is guard against the King while protecting his family.