3

I don't fall back asleep that night. My Aunt said she would stay with me until I fell asleep, so I just pretended so that she would go away.

 I sat on my bed, staring at the ceiling, not even crying. Not feeling. My mother had come to me in a dream, minutes before she had died. 

I was going to meet my father.

                                                                                           ...................

I stretch my stiff legs, then walk over to the vanity mirror on the other side of the room.

 Dark circles under my eyes that look like bruises. 

I walk slowly to the staircase, then look into my Aunt's bedroom. She's not there. I walk down the steps, into the large kitchen. 

She is sitting with a blanket wrapped around her, sipping a cup of tea. 

"Hey, Cat."

I say nothing, walk over and give her a hug.

She starts crying.

                                                                                            ........................

That afternoon, my Aunt drives me back to my house to gather some of my things.

My plan was to call my father from my house, plan a meeting spot, then leave at night.

I walk into my house, untouched since when I last saw it. 

I go into my mom's study, stand in front of her desk. Clasping the cold, metallic handle, I pull it open.

 There it sits. A small, leather-bound notebook. I pull it out, flip to the last page and there it is. 

I pick up the phone and dial, hands shaking. 

What if he doesn't believe me?

What if he-

"This is Dean."

"H-hi," I stutter,

"Who is this?"

"I-I'm Catherine. Your daughter."