12

Dean spends the rest of the day teaching me target practice and what weapon kills what creature.

"When can I come on a real hunt?" I ask.

"Never. I am not putting you in any kind of danger."

"But I want to."

"Cat, you are fourteen years old."

"So? When did you start hunting?"

He says nothing.

"Fine. You can come on our next hunt. But you stay in the car."

"Fiiiiiine," I whine.

"Oh and Dean? I turn fifteen tomorrow."

He smiles at me.

.........................................................................................

That night, Sam goes to get food and Dean, Cas and I sit at the table, talking.

"So. I really am psychic?"

"I'm afraid so," Cas says.

"Why do they want me so bad? How could I possibly help them?"

"Yes, you are psychic, but you have more supernatural powers, too. You will develop them as you mature, and they want to use you."

"But there is one thing I don't understand. If I'm so powerful, why did I just start having visions just now?"

"It is possible that, when your mom died, it opened up your, um, senses. Your capability to have visions of the future, and eventually, talk to the dead, move objects with your mind, etcetera."

"So I can talk to the dead?"

"Maybe not yet, but eventually it is possible, yes."

Oh God. Visions, yeah, I'm fine with that. But dead people?

"I turn fifteen tomorrow. Does that mean anything?"

"It could. We'll just have to wait and see." He shrugs.

I can only think of one question, one that has been eating at me since I found out I was psychic.

"Why me?"

"Well-"

"No, I can answer that," Dean interrupts. "Your mother was psychic, too. That's actually how I met her. On a case,"

"That's impossible. She would have told me, she would have warned me!"

I burst into tears, and Dean gives me an awkward hug.

"It's okay, Cat. It'll all be okay."

"I won't let anything happen to you."

And in that moment, in his arms,

I believed it.

I believed him.