Chapter 27 - Mission Log

- "the following Two Years would be the toughest of my job but luckily I had help, from a man who knew what I went through, a man who held the title before me"

Horatia took a seat, rolling her sore neck. Another night without sleep. The kettle was warming on the stove, She sat peacefully. Trying to find the energy for the day but it seemed unlikely. She spread marmalade across her fresh made toast and waited for her tea. This was the boring beginning to every morning.

The kettle whistled and she stood from her chair and walked over. Grabbing a favoured mug, she poured herself a strong cuppa; one she so desperately needed. Just as she was about to sit again;a knock came from the front door.

She took her wand strongly in her hand and slowly made her way through the house to the single door. No figure was behind the glass window of the door, it remained wavered and showing the dull grey clouds outside. She closed her eyes, to see if she could feel anything, but no Magic was present.

Another knock.

She frowned deeply and opened the door with confusion. Looking she saw no one.
"Eh-hem" a voice cleared their throat and gazing downward she saw a Goblin. His face held a bored expression.
"Hello?" She said , uneasy from the being's presence. She was having flashbacks of her childhood.
"You are, Horatia McGonagal?" He said, a gnarled hand raised and motioned to her.
"Yes, sir I am" She lowered her arms, wand getting tucked back into her pocket.
"Well thank goodness for that, we've been trying to locate you for years, but it seems we only could on the day it was supposed to arrive" He said, half relieved and half agitated.
"I'm sorry for the trouble..?" She hasn't a single clue was he was talking about.
"Here you are then" He handed her letter.
It was old, ancient maybe. Brown and the stamp was almost black with hints of green. The ink of the front was nearly faded but it seemed the Goblins were reserving it the best they could.
"And this also" He turned to his right, away from her view and when he faced her again, he held a basket. "This arrived this morning, was sent to deliver on the same day as this letter" he handed her the basket.
"Okay..?" She took it and placed it on her hallway floor. "Sorry for all the trouble, but may I ask one thing?"
"If you must" He sighed.
"Who are these from? You see I'm not the social type. I don't usually get parcels or baskets or letter in general; unless of course it's important" She explained.
"I guess these are important. In the bank, we usually hold riches, but a letter and a basket, is a tad...strange I must say, but saying that so was the wizard" He replied with a sniff.
"The wizard?"
"I can't say, their voice and body changed every minute, I presume wizard and I shan't presume anymore; read and see and answer your own question. I'm going home" He nodded aggressively. She raised an eyebrow at his harshness.
"Thank you" She said despite his horrid manner. In response she heard grumbles and he waddled his way back.

As if the event could not get any stranger, when she closed the door; the basket yelped. She locked her door and stared at the basket.
"What in merlin's name?"
She crouched and stretched her arm out, distantly she raised the covering of the blanket and lo and behold the sweetness she let her eyes fall on.

A puppy.

Now she was even more confused. Was this from Remus? Or Lucius; Dumbledore maybe?.
The puppy stayed, sitting the basket with excited eyes; staring up at her. She sat down next to the basket and looked at the letter. Taking out her wand, she scanned over it, to see if she could feel anything out of the ordinary. The paper remained paper and the ink was just ink. So she blew out a breath and turned it to look at the stamp.

Her finger traced it's outline gently, it was wax obviously and it's colour faded dark but she could feel in the grooves that an emblem sat deep inside the wax. With flickers if green and a single trail going through it in a 's' shape it was only one answer.
"Slytherin" She muttered to herself. The puppy had abandoned its spot and wandered across the basket to her. Nearly falling it stretched as far as its little paws could allow it and landed on her lap.
She raised the stamp and took the paper out and began the read.