Chapter 21: The Surface

*THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS PANIC ATTACKS*

AN: yes, it's finally here. After 7 MONTHS I FINISHED THE CHAPTER!
Ok listen (rambling ahead)

I Am So So So SORRY!
It's been over half a year that's crazy and I'm incredibly sorry! I've been meaning to finish it sooner and only now got around to wrapping it up. Boi. I'm sorry oof
Anyways. Enough of that.
Can I just say this book has reached oVER 21k+ READS!!!! WTF!!! HOW THE HECK
I AM SO THANKFUL!! Never in a million years would I have imagined to REACH THAT MUCH!! Thank you guys so much and thank you for being patient with me! A little side note real quick before I get onto the chapter. I'm slowly working on the self-insert drawing requests that some of you have requested. It may take longer to wait for those who have requested later since I'll be going in order of those who requested first and I'm making them the look really nice so they you like them and it won't look bad. (So far I have 1 out of 7/8 finished....yikes)
Anyways. Enough rambling
Hope you enjoy the chapter!! ^-^

——————————————————————

"I said the barrier is broken!" Frisk grins happily, determination radiating off them.

Sans looks bewildered by their news. I mean everyone looks shocked so it's no surprise. "How?" He asks.

They shrug it off and tug Sans's sleeve. "That doesn't matter because we can go to the surface now!"

Sans looked like he was going to add something but held it back and smiled instead. "Ok kiddo, lead the way,"

He then stands up and looks around at everyone in the diner. "What are we all waiting for? Let's go." With a lazy grin, he turns back toward me and stretches out his hand.

I happily take it and follow the two out along with other monsters who finally broke out of their daze.

After so many countless years monsters are finally free. They finally get to see the surface. The surface where humanity occupies. Humanity that abuses their own kind for selfish reasons. Why are we like this anyway? I really don't know. I glance at Sans and at the other monsters that walk not too far from us. I just hope they'll be accepted.

That thought seems impossible in a way, but hey, we can only hope honestly. I focus my gaze ahead and catch a glimpse of sunlight that I haven't seen in a month or so. It feels like I've spent years here Underground. It's funny how time works.

Guess that's what happens when you feel okay for once.

"Whatcha thinking there kid?"

"Hm?" I feel Sans squeezing my hand lightly as he scans my face. "Oh, it's nothing!"

He looks at me with an expression that pretty much says he doesn't believe me. "It can't be nothing. That pretty little head of yours is always thinking 'bout something,"

"Oh. Well...," I sigh. "I'm- I'm just thinking about the surface,"

"And?"

".......and I'm worried how, uh, they'll treat you and if they'll even accept you guys." I gaze down. Little sprouts of grass litter the tunnel we're walking through with tiny rays of light shining onto them. A sense of longing hits my chest.

This gives me some nostalgia.

"Don't worry about it too much Y/n, I'm sure it'll be alright,"

I shake my head, avoiding eye contact. "No, you don't understand,"

Suddenly my body gets pulled and collides against familiar warmth. "It'll be alright." Sans hushed voice tickles the side of my face, his arm comfortably slung around my arm. "If there's going to be conflict we'll sort through it and figure it out. Don't worry about it too much." He rubs some tension off my shoulder.