Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

“Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to be over, it’s about learning how to dance in the rain.”

The rest of the week past a bit faster after that and Bryar really enjoyed dancing the Quickstep. It was rather hard and fast but that’s also what made it fun and exciting to watch. Mrs. Delamere had said in their first private lessons that she quoted: “The trained dancer must not only have grace and elegance, but also the leap of an Olympic hurdler, the balance of a tight-rope walker and pather-like strength and agility.”[1] After her first lesson Bryar could only agree.

In Mr. and Mrs. Delamere’s song choice there were lots of different elements that kept the tension in the dance. Mrs. V. made the dresses for the three of them but Aoide had told her that Mrs. Vaci had assigned Bryar’s dress to her to make which Bryar didn’t mind at all.

Soon enough it was Saturday and everyone came down for Spring Breakfast. The girls soon explained to Bryar that it was tradition look fancy, but not over dressed. They had talked about it for a bit and decided to go au-naturel, or at least as much as possible. Bryar looked through her wardrobe and quickly found the dress she was going to wear.

It was a very cute dress. The dress reached to her knees and was layered with different shades of blue in ombre style, from light to dark. The bodice was of the lightest shade of baby blue with golden leaves sewn on which looked very good in contrast with the blue. Bryar had remembered buying the dress with Audra one day and fell in love with it ever since. 

The cool tones really made her red hair look very fiery. Bryar left her hair down and Carmina volunteered to curl it in waves to add some volume. Bryar decided to stick with her thin line of eyeliner and added a lovely shiny golden eye shadow, which brought out the hazel in her eyes, and mascara with a nude lipstick. When the hair and the make-up were done, she just added a pair of golden ballerina’s and it was finished. They all looked simply stunning.

The breakfast was a lot of fun, everyone was enjoying themselves and the food was really good. Bryar had tried not to eat too much but ended up with double anyway. After the Spring Breakfast, Mr. VanderBilt still made a speech and then everyone was free for the rest of the day. They moved up to their rooms and later on in the day still went out to town but Bryar knew she had to return on time because she still had to perform in front of Mr. VanderBilt’s business clients.

Before she knew it, it was late afternoon and she only had thirty minutes left before they had to go on. The girls had helped her with everything again and she looked amazing. A dress for the Quickstep is supposed to be rather floaty but not too big because you have to be able to see the feet.

Bryar loved making her own dresses but Aoide had a different and more skilled insight than her, from which she learned a lot. This dress was just as amazing as all her other gowns. Aoide had also made a complete traditional suit for Morgan as well with a navy blue tie and added pink sequins onto it.

                  The main colour of her dress was a navy blue, a sky blue and a soft pastel pink. The top had thin straps and a simple structured bodice with an elegant curve. Around the waist there was a pastel pink ribbon and the dress fell straight down. The skirt shaded from very dark navy at the top till the sky blue at the bottom.

There was also an under layer of chiffon in the sky blue with the pastel pink at the top. Chiffon isn’t a very heavy material but it added a nice sway in the dress. The back of the dress was deep but with a cross pattern in sky blue material and the pastel pink ribbon around the waist continued and was tied and stitched in a bow. Bryar matched a pair of nude dance shoes with them because she wanted all the attention to be drawn to the dress. The three other girls had the same dress but in different colours: the one was dark blue with red, sky blue and purple and the other was with turquoise with indigo.