Chapter Eleven

EDITED

Chapter Eleven

“After all everybody has secrets and there are some things that nobody knows about you but only you, right?”[1]

Celebrating the New Year had been great fun and Bryar had loved performing her dances. In the end she really enjoyed both and couldn’t wait to learn more. Monday when school started, it was like any other morning. Bryar woke up with her alarm and got up and dressed in her school uniform. She decided to wear jeans and a nice warm jumper with the school emblem sewn on it. She wore a pair of good boots and to finish off her look she wore a pair of shiny silver earrings and a silver key on a chain around her neck. Bryar applied some silver eye pencil, softening her look, and some mascara to her lashes.

When she walked down into the Great Hall she bumped into Carmina and they walked together to the table. Bryar noticed around her all the girls chattering excitedly, normally the school was still in snooze mode at this time but not today. Even Carmina was in a good mood, which was exceptional in the mornings. Bryar chose for some good muesli with fresh fruit and a cup of tea. As Bryar ate her food, the bell went off and Mr. VanderBilt tapped the microphone to grab everyone’s attention.

“Good morning students of St. Vitus, I have a great announcement.” The excitement was tangible in the room. All the girls had this vibe coming off them and Bryar couldn’t exactly place it.

“As you know, after the celebrating of a New Year we open the booth to buy tickets for the Valentine Bash.” Some girls couldn’t control themselves anymore and burst out in whispers to their friends.

Mr. VanderBilt desperately tried to catch their attention again. “May I have all your attention please?” Slowly the girls quieted down again and he continued. “As all you girls know, this is the only festivity at St. Vitus where it’s mandatory that the boy asks the girl. So, all you lads out there, if you have a special girl in mind I would ask her immediately before someone else does!” Bryar understood why all the girls were so excited. This was a one in a lifetime experience. Also so utterly romantic. Bryar really hoped that Morgan would ask her as she looked at her friends they shared an unspoken conversation that they would talk about it later.

As soon as Mr. VanderBilt finished, the whole room was filled with chatter. All the girls were naming the guys by whom they hoped they would be picked and all the guys did the same but then about the girls. The school bell went not long after Mr. VanderBilt’s speech, all the students walked to their rooms to get ready for their school day. Bryar couldn’t find the girls anymore until she went up to her room. They were sitting there very quietly with their schoolbags.

                  “Ok, I need to know who you girls are going to choose because it would be so embarrassing and awkward if we go with someone else’s guy.” Carmina gushed as soon as Bryar had closed the door. Aoide smiled in agreement and Noa had a sort vacant expression on her face.

“Everyone agreed?” Carmina pressed on. “Yes, Carm, we all agree.” Bryar answered, still looking at Noa. She looked like she was thinking about something very deeply but they had to go to their lessons soon, otherwise they would be too late.

“No, are you coming with me?” Bryar asked. Their first subject was Cosmetics, the subject that she had with Noa alone so they would always walk together. She would ask Noa later what she was thinking about. The girls said good-bye until their second lesson, which was Technique.

Cosmetics flew past and Bryar had a great time. In their first weeks they learned the basics of applying make-up and now every week they had a different theme to create a look for. They would also have special tasks – like creating the look for a show or a photo shoot – and real tests. Bryar kept her eye on Noa. Noa was amazing as usual but Bryar couldn’t help but noticed that her mind was somewhere else. It must be a serious issue to have Noa this distracted. Noa was the most focused and single-minded girl Bryar had ever known.