Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Four

“Dance every performance as if it were your last.”[1]

Theatre Week had finally come and everyone was doing their very best to be as prepared as possible. During this week there were classes but a lot of rehearsals instead so the students still had to wake up incredibly early and perform to incredibly high standards. Most subjects were already done and Bryar had passed all her classes so far with incredibly high grades. But none of that mattered if she didn’t make it through the Theatre Week.

After Morgan had told her about the cancer, they decided together to tell all of their friends. They all reacted similar to how she did, all the girls cried and she saw that the boys also had a hard time keeping their tears back. When something so intense hits close to home, it makes you see everything in a very different light. They all knew that Morgan was way too young to suffer of anything like this.

The practices continued but Morgan couldn’t be there for all of them. The chemo was supposed to help him in the long run but for right now it didn’t help him at all. There were days when he stayed in bed because he was weak or when he’d sit for hours on end by the toilet, throwing up. Bryar didn’t break her promise once, she was there through everything. There were only two things that held her attention, rehearsals and Morgan.

The evening before their Theatre Week started, Bryar was sat in her room reading a book again. It was one of the small things she could do for herself that she enjoyed and that didn’t take up much energy. Suddenly the girls walked in and sat on her bed.

“Hey, I know you might not be in the mood but it is a school tradition to go to Mist the night before the Theatre Week.” Aoide said, softly. Bryar had heard of Mist before, it was the dance and night club to attend to. Bryar hadn’t really felt in the mood for it but then again she knew that she couldn’t really sit around here. Morgan had also left because his family was in town for the Theatre Week and they wanted to spend time with him. He had invited her as well but she knew that they should be alone as a family right now. She contemplated for a second before answering.

“I think we could all use a little break right now.” The girls cheered and changed into more appropriate clothes. Bryar had never really been out clubbing with friends before, mainly because they never really liked to. While they were getting ready, Bryar kind of found herself getting into the mood of it. Just having one night were she could let go.

She decided to wear a skin tight black dress that she had. It was a very simple dress, it ended around mid-thigh and with a jewel neckline. The back had a small hole to show a little skin but nothing much. She also added a pair of strappy shiny black heels. Bryar decided to leave her hair down and straightened it herself. Noa made her up, she created an emerald type of smoky eyes. Even though it didn’t fit the dress necessarily it did fit Bryar’s eyes that now were positively green. She loved how it looked and thanked Noa a lot. She only added a little perfume and she was done, the girls weren’t very far behind her. She was about to grab a jacket when Carmina stopped her.

“Believe me, you don’t need that one. It will be like walking into an oven in there.” Bryar hesitated but she knew that Carmina had been there before and took her word for it.

“Okay girls, let’s go!” Carmina cheered as they left their room.

When Bryar entered the club the first thing she saw and felt was the heat. There were so many people in a single room that all their body heat created quite the warmth. Second was the ever present mist that covered the floor and some of the surfaces, it was where the club was famous for. She was happy that Carmina had convinced her to leave her jacket at the school. The four of them slowly made their way further in. There were all types of people crowded on the dance floor or around the bar.